Disassembler

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

chicosaurus

Disassembler

Post by chicosaurus »

Hi

I am a newbie to ECU tuning. I have an Audi RS2 file that I would like to change.

The ECU is a Bosch Motronic 2.3.2.

Any ideas on the Disassembler I should be using for this code.

Plan is to disassemble code, then use the info to create a definition file in Tunerpro.

Thanks for the help
dex
The Ford Guy

Audi RS2 disassembly

Post by dex »

Hi,

You need to find out what processor the Bosch Motronic 2.3.2 uses. If it's an 'off the shelf' processor finding a disassembler shouldn't be too hard, it's a differnet matter though if the Bosch uses a custom processor.
chicosaurus

Re: Audi RS2 disassembly

Post by chicosaurus »

dex wrote:Hi,

You need to find out what processor the Bosch Motronic 2.3.2 uses. If it's an 'off the shelf' processor finding a disassembler shouldn't be too hard, it's a differnet matter though if the Bosch uses a custom processor.
Have disassembled code. Whats the best approach to finding data tables, constants & flags ?
dex
The Ford Guy

Audi RS2 disassembly

Post by dex »

Assuming your disassembly has identified code and data then tables are found by recognising 'patterns' in the data. You won't know the function of the table but you usually can spot the width and depth of the table.

Constants and flags are more difficult, if you don't have a disassembly of a similar code from another Audi car then the only way is to start breaking down the code into the various subroutines and labelling the variables you find. Perseverance is the only way with this one. Eventually you should be able to start identifying what routines manipluate which data and formulate ideas about what does what.

Apologies for the rather poor response but without sample disassemblies it's a mammoth task you have set yourself.

I note from your thread on the moates.net forum you have got an original bin file and modified ones, a good start would be to compare the original file to the modified ones and see what's been changed. These changes (if from an aftermarket chip) would most likely be spark and fueling tables, possibly rev limits too.
dex
The Ford Guy

Audi RS2 disassembly

Post by dex »

Missed one of the changes...... checksum(s) too!
chicosaurus

Re: Audi RS2 disassembly

Post by chicosaurus »

dex wrote:Assuming your disassembly has identified code and data then tables are found by recognising 'patterns' in the data. You won't know the function of the table but you usually can spot the width and depth of the table.

Constants and flags are more difficult, if you don't have a disassembly of a similar code from another Audi car then the only way is to start breaking down the code into the various subroutines and labelling the variables you find. Perseverance is the only way with this one. Eventually you should be able to start identifying what routines manipluate which data and formulate ideas about what does what.

Apologies for the rather poor response but without sample disassemblies it's a mammoth task you have set yourself.

I note from your thread on the moates.net forum you have got an original bin file and modified ones, a good start would be to compare the original file to the modified ones and see what's been changed. These changes (if from an aftermarket chip) would most likely be spark and fueling tables, possibly rev limits too.
Unfortunately I have disassembled the entire bin file. I have started going to the disassembled code line by lin, trying to figure out what each line does & writing in comments (this is going to take a while !!)

Any ideas on a good program I can use to compare bin files. I have the Winols demo, but it is no help...

Thanks
dex
The Ford Guy

Audi RS2 disassembly

Post by dex »

I use HDD Software's Hex Editor v2.0 to compare two bins, its freeware.

You might also want to take a look at

http://www.andywhittaker.com/Audi/ecu/index.html

This guy's done some work on a Bosch Motronic ME 7.1 ecu and it might help you.