GUIDE

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

calliboy

GUIDE

Post by calliboy »

:roll: Does it exist from some part a guide to begin whit tunerProRT????

thank's in advance...
Six_Shooter

Re: GUIDE

Post by Six_Shooter »

calliboy wrote::roll: Does it exist from some part a guide to begin whit tunerProRT????

thank's in advance...
Not really. Mark, nor anyone else has really had time to compile any sort of guide that I have seen for Tuner Pro/RT. If you read through posts or perform specific searches on things that you have questions about, on here and thirdgen.org (DIY PROM forum), you'll have more than enough info to go on.

Yes, at somepoint I'm sure there will be a guide, but currently it's all just a self taught experiance.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

What kind of guide? TunerPro's help function gives a lot of information. Admittedly it doesn't cover the more recent features but it is a good place to start.
HarpSeal1

Post by HarpSeal1 »

I was thinking about writting a guide today about this datalogging/chip burning. Actually im compling a big list of how to's for working with chevy TBI and cars in general. Theres a lot of info out there but all of the how tos always forget to include the small details.

so if youre a newbie at something, youre probably going to mess something up! But until i actually get all of this stuff done you can pm/email me if you need some help. Ive only done the datalogging so far and i built my own cable. So if you have questions about that I can definitely help...

as for modifying bins and chip programming, i cant help you there just yet. However over this winter break ill be doing that, my truck runs like total DANG! so i have to get it done haha. My programmer is on the way :D

Also check out thirdgen.org They have a lot of how tos and their forum has a lot of stuff thats been talked about, so do some searching. Fullsizechevy.com also has a lot of good info, check them out...

well good luck with your computer stuff!
calliboy

Post by calliboy »

For example, I don't know what is the XDF definition file....
HarpSeal1

Post by HarpSeal1 »

and XDF file is like a map to a chips BIN file... Like if you just pop your stock chip into your programmer to read it, it will create a bin file on your computer. But the bin file (binary) doesnt really have any meaning to it. Your computer needs to know what all of these 1s and 0s actually is trying to say...

thats where the XDF file comes in. It defines what each byte or bytes mean (a byte is a series of 8 1s and 0s) The program that is editing the bin and has the XDF (kinda like a map) loaded will be like oh i see, the first bytes tell me about how to react to the map sensor, the next bytes are for the 02 sensor, and so on...

Dont confuse an XDF file with an ADS file. The ADS file is like a map for a stream of binary digits coming from the diagnostic port. The ADS will tell (in this case) tuner pro what each byte signifies when doing data logging.

Hows that?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Very nice.

Hey, I'll take as much help with documentation as I can get!!! Please do send me any "guides" that you write. I'll edit and publish them.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
HarpSeal1

Post by HarpSeal1 »

Will do. Ill see if i can get something going before next semester starts on the 17th of jan. I should have my chip programming complete so then the guide will be a full walk through.
WALLDOW

ya im interested in some kind of guide to general tuning

Post by WALLDOW »

ide be interested too. ive had a little .bin experiance flashing bios on vid cards and motherboards on pc's. first time using tune pro is it user friendly? im whanting to lower my flow rate on my injectors im getting loaded up to the point im fouling plugs on a 60-70 miles to the point were gas is washing down the cilinder walls into the oil and its a new moter witch is not good. ive tried 2 differant chips one from lsracing.com and also pcmforless.com both tunes eem to be good except for the gas overload isue? jammie from lsracing.com told me to run the car get it to operating temp out of closed loop and it should lean out! welll i have and its not curing the problem still dumping way to mutch fuel. u can realy tell on cruising same speeds she gets real choked up.

87 GTA T-Top
5.7 Ltr-Flat Top Pistons
Holley Systemax Kit 300-503-1
Via L98 Intake & Roller Rockers
58mm Throttle body-Summit
Holley Factory Rep. Adj. FPR
30lb Eccel Injectors
Modified MAF

ive also changed the thermostat to a 170 ac delco from the stock 195 and changed the temp fan switch to a hypertech 176on/166off fan switch do i still need to change perameters in tune? will it stay in closed loop because its not getting to the stock 195 temps? or will the swaping of the fan switch take care of that? thnks sorry to have got off the guide subject err but ya a guide is a def must for the newbies! :)
HarpSeal1

Post by HarpSeal1 »

Yeah Tuner Pro is pretty easy to figure out whats going on, especially if you are very computer literate like yourself and you have an decent understanding of engines.

What is all in that systemax kit? If its a head/cam package, you've got more work than just adjusting the flow rating constant to do. You are going to need to edit your fuel map and your spark table a lot..

Basically if you have a different camshaft, thats going to throw off the computer when it reads the Pressure inside the intake manifold. So the computer may be seeing a "load" when you are idling because of the cam. So, the computer looks in its fuel map and says ok, the engine is at 600rpms and experiencing 30kPA of pressure, so im suppose to mix this much fuel...

Unfortunately for you, the motor isn't under a load, its just idling. So then you run rich and waste gas.

Have you done any data logging yet? You wont be able to do any effective calibrating without datalogging after each adjustment!
WALLDOW

Post by WALLDOW »

HarpSeal1 wrote:Yeah Tuner Pro is pretty easy to figure out whats going on, especially if you are very computer literate like yourself and you have an decent understanding of engines.

What is all in that systemax kit? If its a head/cam package, you've got more work than just adjusting the flow rating constant to do. You are going to need to edit your fuel map and your spark table a lot..

Basically if you have a different camshaft, thats going to throw off the computer when it reads the Pressure inside the intake manifold. So the computer may be seeing a "load" when you are idling because of the cam. So, the computer looks in its fuel map and says ok, the engine is at 600rpms and experiencing 30kPA of pressure, so im suppose to mix this much fuel...

Unfortunately for you, the motor isn't under a load, its just idling. So then you run rich and waste gas.

Have you done any data logging yet? You wont be able to do any effective calibrating without datalogging after each adjustment!
no havnt done anything yet and yes the systemax kit lanatti cam holley 65cc chamber heads with 202/160 valves. but both the chip burners knew cam size head size and everything saying the chips should work? im going to get the http://www.moates.net/product_info.php? ... cts_id=127 from moats and start trying to trouble shoot. will this data loger do the trick on flashing the the proms? and my 87 is MAF not MAP? dfont know what to do theres nobody close that can hook up and do on sight tune sad cause im in BG kentucky home of the corvete and nobody cAN CUSTUM TUNE AN L98 MOTER THATS SAD! oops sorry caps! ? onece i get the data loger from moates ill prolly pm u maybe u can give me a couple starting pointers on what im actualy looking at if u dont mind
hayesperformanceplus

Post by hayesperformanceplus »

I would GREATLY appreciate a "User Guide" as it were to the Tuner Pro RT

I've been looking for the answers to some of these questions....

Where do we obtain the correct XDF files for our applications???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

See the help menu to start. XDF files for many (but not all available) applications can also be found pretty plainly on the TunerPro website.

Knowing what your application is would also greatly aid people in pointing you in the proper direction for an XDF.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
hayesperformanceplus

THANKS!!!

The applications I'm looking for are;

- 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix, 3.4 DOHC Auto
- 1993 GMC P/U 1500 4WD, 5.7L TBI with Vortec Heads, Edelbrock performer cam, Edelbrock EPS intake, Headers and High flow exhaust, EGR NEEDS DELETING
-1995 Chevrolet P/U 1500 4WD, 5.7L TBI with a 383 stroker kit

I have the BIN file for the 1991 Grand Prix and I'm still looking for the BIN's on the other two, BUT I do need the correct XDF files on all three. If I can obtain the XDF files, or known WHERE to go to get them I'd be Very appreciative.

Thank you!

David
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

hayesperformanceplus wrote: The applications I'm looking for are;

- 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix, 3.4 DOHC Auto
- 1993 GMC P/U 1500 4WD, 5.7L TBI with Vortec Heads, Edelbrock performer cam, Edelbrock EPS intake, Headers and High flow exhaust, EGR NEEDS DELETING
-1995 Chevrolet P/U 1500 4WD, 5.7L TBI with a 383 stroker kit
all links that require password: u: moatesuser p: moatespassword

- '91 is $DF, I think, depending on the ECM part number. (copy and paste the link below, the link will be broken)
www.moates.net/files/3)%20Binary%20Editor%20Definitions/1)%20TunerPro%20XDF%20Files/1)%20General%20Motors/DF.xdf

- '93, I need the ECM part #

- 95 I need the ECM part #

A good place to figure out which mask you need is here:
http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/ecm_sup.html
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
hayesperformanceplus

The 1993 is;

The 1995 is;
16196395 or 16197427 I forget which...
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Per the link, E6 and 0D respectively. Both of those should be at the link I sent you to moates.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
hayesperformanceplus

oh ok,

So
93' E6

95' OD

Is that correct?
hayesperformanceplus

By the way,

If I buy the Moates APU1 AutoProm Package will I then be able to use ALL of the Tuner Pro RT software???
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

hayesperformanceplus wrote:By the way,

If I buy the Moates APU1 AutoProm Package will I then be able to use ALL of the Tuner Pro RT software???
You can use it "all" now, but yes, the APU1 includes a TunerPro RT license, which simply removes the 10 second nag window when you first start TunerPro RT.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
hayesperformanceplus

In a sense I should have bought it instead of the ostrich...
hayesperformanceplus

By the way, how is that guide coming along? LOL
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

hayesperformanceplus wrote:By the way, how is that guide coming along? LOL
You tell me. As you're learning, are you writing it?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
hayesperformanceplus

I was refering to the one member here that had mentioned about posting/writing a user guide.

On the 1991 Grand prix with the 3.4 DOHC that I had asked you about, do you know what ad file I need to datalog the engine with?

I also need the ad file for the 1993 & 1995 chev p/u

all info posted earlier here.

Thank you!

Regards,
David