Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

To be tempered shortly...
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
audichap

Post by audichap »

Oh thats an encouraging sign... Its been a long wait for me on the tracing since Dec 2008 but I guess others have waited longer. I'm really looking forward to it - that will really start unlocking more Motronic mysteries.
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

audichap wrote:Oh thats an encouraging sign... Its been a long wait for me on the tracing since Dec 2008 but I guess others have waited longer. I'm really looking forward to it - that will really start unlocking more Motronic mysteries.
even good working tracing will not help you. Because processor is reading too many locations on the chip, so you got to narrow your search, that means you will have to at least know where to look within 128kb of data.
audichap

Post by audichap »

Thats understood - I know where the maps are - well the main ones - just impossible to solve 'when' they get accessed.

Well there's that and I am hopeful for support in TP pro for the access trace that is provided in Ostrich - it should be possible to log all ROM locations accessed in real time... I have high quality disassembly here - but again - very hard to slog thru without some evidence of what happens when in real time.

I am in the process of building an engine simulator to help me where I can change input parameters to log the ECUs response.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

You won't be able to log "all" ROM locations in real-time. Address hit tracing only captures about 25% of hits, and that's under ideal conditions.

You really will have to narrow your scope to "sections" of a ROM, and it helps immensely to figure out where tables are using other means, and use address hit tracing for verification.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
audichap

Post by audichap »

Cool... well the sooner I can get my hands on it, the sooner I can get my head round it and piece together the map info I have and the disassembly. My ECU uses two processors (presumably with some shared memory) so I have double trouble in the reverse engineering department.

ANY view on a candidate release date for V5 ?
The wait is painful... Appreciate this is non trivial stuff though, so don't think I'm b1tchin about the wait - just a lil frustrated.
merror

Post by merror »

Can you tell us how long we should wait for V5 ??

1 month
3 month
6 month ????

It would be very helpfull.
audichap

Post by audichap »

Been waiting since Nov 2008 now... hate to sound like I am bitchin' but the total lack of any information on a V5 release date is really grinding me down. Can anything be said about this now ?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I know, and I'm sorry. There are a few people out there who have their hands on an alpha build are providing feedback. I got over the last major hurdle last week that was breaking parity between v4 and v5. I'm implementing a few last minute goodies, and then I'll declare it in beta stage and open it up for everyone.

I know I've been saying it all along, but expect to see that happen soon. I'm as anxious as you to get this out the door; I'm tired of working on it. =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
nrthrly

Post by nrthrly »

Don't let our impatience deter from our deep appreciation for your efforts in this!! I hope that you get some measure of satisfaction from the fact that a very large number of people have come to rely on this amazing program.
94 Chevy Suburban
383 TPI Vortec
Tow/Show
Laimis

Post by Laimis »

I'm checking this website everyday for new version :D Will donate more same day as v5 comes out 8)
amstrange1

Post by amstrange1 »

Good news! 8)

I'm eager to get my hands on V5 too - is there any way of getting our hands on an alpha release now? Only ask as I have a car to tune today/tomorrow, and it'd make my life a lot easier. :wink:
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

amstrange1 wrote:Good news! 8)

I'm eager to get my hands on V5 too - is there any way of getting our hands on an alpha release now? Only ask as I have a car to tune today/tomorrow, and it'd make my life a lot easier. :wink:
V4.14 will work just as well, currently.

V5 has more GUI options, and a slightly different layout, from what I've been able to gather.

The really nice change with V5 will be the integration of Scanner Pro into Tuner Pro RT, so that you have more options in the layout and look of the dash, along with the ability to have more than just 6 gauges. That's going to help me a lot. :)
amstrange1

Post by amstrange1 »

Six_Shooter wrote:V4.14 will work just as well, currently.
No address tracing in V4 though. :wink:
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

amstrange1 wrote:
Six_Shooter wrote:V4.14 will work just as well, currently.
No address tracing in V4 though. :wink:
You didn't specify what vehicle you were tuning. ;)

Mark doesn't seem to feel that address hit tracing is all that it's cracked up to be.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Address hit tracing is great! I use it to trace fuel/spark tables when I don't have an ALDL connection. This will be great for those who want to see where the ECM is running in a table, and it work awesome for that purpose.

Where tracing isn't as valuable is for determining where tables are in a vast binary. Monitoring a large address space and trying to divine where a spark table is doesn't get much easier with address hit tracing. =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
amstrange1

Post by amstrange1 »

Do you have rough idea as to when we'll be able to get our hands on a beta please? Days/weeks/months? Thanks!
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

amstrange1 wrote:Do you have rough idea as to when we'll be able to get our hands on a beta please? Days/weeks/months? Thanks!
release date is 03/16/2010, are you happy now
amstrange1

Post by amstrange1 »

@revlimit:

I bought the Moates Ostrich II kit and a TunerPro RT license on the basis that it'd do address tracing. The Moates site doesn't make it clear that whilst the Ostrich II hardware can do tracing, the recommended software they sell (TunerPro RT V4) doesn't support it yet.

Getting a rough idea as to when V5 will be available enables me to decide whether to hold fire on tuning for a bit and stick with this kit, or to put it on eBay and buy something else that actually does what I want. Time is too short to mess about on the ECUs I'm tuning without address tracing, especially when you're used to using kit like ETAS INCA in your day job.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I appreciate your enthusiasm, thanks! Please shoot me an email (Amstrange) and I'll see what I can do. I truly hope to open it up within the month (of July). I've just buttoned up customizeable keyboard shortcuts, which was the last "major" thing that I wanted to do. The main thing that's lacking (in its entirety) is documentation for the new stuff. I don't think that would hold up a public beta, though.

In any case, I've created a short video to show you address tracing. In the video, the tracing you're seeing is entirely from address hits, and is not in any way tied to live datastream data from the vehicle (i.e. no ALDL connection).

www.tunerpro.net/videos/V5Tracing.swf.html
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
starrd

Post by starrd »

Great video Mark - I now understand how the address tracing works with Ver5 - do I feel dumb! I kept going to the address hit tracer in tools.

As a Beta/Alpha tester, all I can say is this is definitely worth the wait. Mark has worked very hard on this and has done some great stuff here. I can sure see how you are getting weary of all the long hours writing code.
Last edited by starrd on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

amstrange1 wrote:@revlimit:

I bought the Moates Ostrich II kit and a TunerPro RT license on the basis that it'd do address tracing. The Moates site doesn't make it clear that whilst the Ostrich II hardware can do tracing, the recommended software they sell (TunerPro RT V4) doesn't support it yet.

Getting a rough idea as to when V5 will be available enables me to decide whether to hold fire on tuning for a bit and stick with this kit, or to put it on eBay and buy something else that actually does what I want. Time is too short to mess about on the ECUs I'm tuning without address tracing, especially when you're used to using kit like ETAS INCA in your day job.
There is no where in moates website that tells you that tunerpro will do address tracing at all, so I don't know why are you blaming tunerpro for not getting what you tought you would get. What they say in Moates website is that their product is "supporting" address trace, they don't give you software that actualy can do it. And good luck finding another emulator that can do live data trace, as far as I know there is none.

Mangus did you fix the address tracing on V5? Does it freeze at any time when you use it?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Craig hasn't fixed that yet. I can't get it to happen all that frequently, but others can, so I'm not sure what actually sparks it. I'll ping Craig again.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
amstrange1

Post by amstrange1 »

revlimit wrote:
amstrange1 wrote:@revlimit:

There is no where in moates website that tells you that tunerpro will do address tracing at all, so I don't know why are you blaming tunerpro for not getting what you tought you would get. What they say in Moates website is that their product is "supporting" address trace, they don't give you software that actualy can do it. And good luck finding another emulator that can do live data trace, as far as I know there is none.

Mangus did you fix the address tracing on V5? Does it freeze at any time when you use it?
1. No Moates doesn't claim that TunerPro does address tracing, but that's not what I said is it? :roll: I said that they don't make it clear that it is (as yet) unsupported by TunerPro...
2. Am I blaming TunerPro? No. I simply asked when V5 would be out on beta, and you got a bee in your bonnet about it.
3. There are a few alternatives out there, but they're more pricey. I went with TunerPro on the basis it seemed to have an active support community and the price was wallet-friendly. A couple of friends doing similar things went down the more expensive routes with good results.

Your loyalty to Mark/TunerPro is admirable, but chill out a bit - there's no need to be so aggressive when people are asking straightforward questions. :wink:
sideways danny

Post by sideways danny »

Mangus wrote:I appreciate your enthusiasm, thanks! Please shoot me an email (Amstrange) and I'll see what I can do. I truly hope to open it up within the month (of July). I've just buttoned up customizeable keyboard shortcuts, which was the last "major" thing that I wanted to do. The main thing that's lacking (in its entirety) is documentation for the new stuff. I don't think that would hold up a public beta, though.

In any case, I've created a short video to show you address tracing. In the video, the tracing you're seeing is entirely from address hits, and is not in any way tied to live datastream data from the vehicle (i.e. no ALDL connection).

www.tunerpro.net/videos/V5Tracing.swf.html
that's what i've been trying to find software to do for 4 years!!!!!

Awesome
peluca

Post by peluca »

There are a few emulators that does trace but they are prici
Multirom16L
Nonstop
merror

Post by merror »

some good news??
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

The good news is:

It's still coming. :D
uglykid

Post by uglykid »

A suggestion, if I may...

The minimum baud rate for ScannerPro is 2400, but the baudrate for the logger I'm using is lower. Can the baud rate for v5 go down to 1200?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

uglykid wrote:A suggestion, if I may...

The minimum baud rate for ScannerPro is 2400, but the baudrate for the logger I'm using is lower. Can the baud rate for v5 go down to 1200?
Sure.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
uglykid

Post by uglykid »

Mangus wrote:
uglykid wrote:A suggestion, if I may...

Sure.
Sweeeeeeeeet, thanks!!

I'm drooling over getting my hands on a copy..
audichap

Post by audichap »

Haven't checked for a while but it looks like we are getting close here...

Thanks Mark for giving us an update and perservering with V5 - especially the trace functionality - it will be such luxury to have that.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Very close. Still working on documentation, and a few of the more important bug fixes before public beta. Sit tight and stay tuned...
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
scarceller

Post by scarceller »

V5 will be so cool, with the cell hit feature! I saw the video, nice work Mark. I'll keep checking back for the beta.

Thanks for the improvements on TunerProRT.
scarceller

Post by scarceller »

Mark,

Can V5 be installed along with V4? Meaning can I have both installed.
Will V4 XDF files work on V5? any know issues

Thanks.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

scarceller wrote:Mark,

Can V5 be installed along with V4? Meaning can I have both installed.
Will V4 XDF files work on V5? any know issues

Thanks.
Yes, you can have them installed alongside each other, although I'm not sure of the benefit. Yes, V4 XDFs work with V5, but definitions saved in V5 cannot be opened in V4.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Rogue_Ant

Post by Rogue_Ant »

Really looking forward to cell-tracing...

-Rogue
speedsex

Post by speedsex »

So will we need the ostrich v2.0 to map trace? any way you can link a max233a to a data port and tunerpro and have map trace, I know some honda /dsm software uses some thing on those lines.

Donnie
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

speedsex wrote:So will we need the ostrich v2.0 to map trace? any way you can link a max233a to a data port and tunerpro and have map trace, I know some honda /dsm software uses some thing on those lines.

Donnie
Address hit tracing requires an Ostrich 2.0 or Romulator. Data acquisition data tracing can do it with a realtime data interface (max232/233 works fine).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
speedsex

Post by speedsex »

Is the real time max233 some thing that will work with the current tuner pro or some thing that will work with the v5?

Can i have some info on setting up the max233 and tuner pro?

And what is the difference in the two types of tracing?

I have the ostrich 1 so to use all the features of the up coming v5 i will have to get the ostrich 2 ?
JP86SS

Data Tracing

Post by JP86SS »

Data tracing with Max232 works in V4 currently.
Basically you setup the XDF (editor) associations to the related ADS (Logging) item.
ie: link RPM in the XDF bin editor so when RPM reads in on the ALDL it can indicate the current position onto the edited table. This would be the "Y" axis (vertical) for a VE table. MAP reading would be linked to the "X" axis.
All of the values need to be integer or floating point and be of equal "range" so the values match correctly (biggest error when setting up)

Address Tracing does not use the Datalogging value for the matching but finds the memory location in use and indicates the position.

Ostrich 1 will do data tracing, Ostrich 2 is needed for address tracing.

I think I got that right.
V5 = Very cool indeed! 8)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Re: Data Tracing

Post by Mangus »

JP86SS wrote:I think I got that right.
You have it correct. Note that no emulator is necessary for data tracing at all. The Ostrich 2 (or Romulator) is necessary only for address hit tracing (for those applications that TunerPro can't gather realtime data from via normal diagnostic communications).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
speedsex

Post by speedsex »

I believe I got it , thank you very much.
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

audichap wrote:Oh thats an encouraging sign... Its been a long wait for me on the tracing since Dec 2008 but I guess others have waited longer. I'm really looking forward to it - that will really start unlocking more Motronic mysteries.
I've been waiting for over a year too. Is there any possibility to get a "preview" on the new tracing feature? Motronic hacking is hard enough as it is, not having feedback which cells to modify while you're doing a session on a public road is even harder...
merror

Post by merror »

Maybe some news??
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Maybe!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

I HAVE NEWS: WE ARE STILL WAITING :lol:

but according to some "rumors" around the net, its not that far off of finished...
uglykid

Post by uglykid »

I'm anxiously awaiting the capability of tracing on my machine with the lower baud rates!!!

I even registered for the "elevacceleration" effect. (pushing the elevator button constantly in hopes that the elevator will arrive faster) :twisted:

Mebbe a couple other donations will encourage this effect to work.. :idea:
turbodave

Post by turbodave »

OK, I'll ask. Will V5 and Tranlsator Pro play well together?

Turbodave.