New user

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

jodydewey

New user

Post by jodydewey »

Everyone,

I am a new user to this forum and I was wondering how to go about getting a new definition or if it is even required to datalog what a computer is putting out. I have a 1992 Geo Metro and I would like to datalog it to find out if I can tweak the program for better economy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jody
pradecki

Post by pradecki »

I assume you already have an ALDL cable.

I just got one Monday and ended up searching around for several hours until I found this thread:
http://forum.tunerpro.net/viewtopic.php?t=676

read through it and use the link at the bottom:
ftp://diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/ALDLstuff.zip

open up the index file to figure out what file will work for your car. Open up the correct *.ds file with a text editor. The file will essentially document the protocol the ECM is using to transmit data across the serial line. To do this it lists what initial connection commands have to be called to tell the ECM to stream data. my '93 grand prix was very similar to one of the preloaded .ds files that comes with tunerpro rt so I just copied it and modified it. When you select which ds file you can click the edit button and it will bring up a little window that lists all the data you are reading. Best thing is to setup a log file too so when you record data while you are driving you can analyze it later. use ur ds file to find the byte and bit order. and what data they correlate too. for example an entry might go like
43 MAP - Manifold Air Pressure
kPa = N*x+y

You would then know that the 43rd byte correlates to your MAP sensor and to decode the hex value you need to multiply it by x and add y to it. So you just transfer all of that to your tunerpro rt def'n file.

That make sense? It took be a good 2 hours last night to setup my ds file properly.