'93 3.1L grand prix ads file for datalogging

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

pradecki

'93 3.1L grand prix ads file for datalogging

Post by pradecki »

I just got one of those ALDL cables and tried using the 4 different preinstalled ads files for datalogging but none of then worked completely. I am not trying to do anything fancy just find out if my o2 sensor is working and i need to get the data in a readable format or even just the voltage signal. I see people referring to moates site but when I go to moates.net i can't find any section where files are available for download. Where is this section of ads files people refer to. Also is there an ads file for a '93 grand prix 3.1L?
pradecki

Post by pradecki »

So I found this:
ftp://diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/ALDLstuff.zip
downloaded it and searched through the index to find my car. I found two files that matched my car both A186.ds and A140.ds (They both correlated with 3.1L PFI (LHO) (VIN=T) 93 w-body. I am assuming "2W" means Pontiac w-body where "2" is the 3rd vin character and "W" is the 4th vin character; I was going off of (please correct me if i'm wrong):
http://www.w-body.com/vin.html
Anyway my new problem is that I don't know which def'n file is correct for my car. The files are very similar but differ int he MAT conversion table and also in the some of the engine error code bits. For example, in A186 byte 53, bit 6 is listed as not used while in a140 the same bit is listed as "1 = DEFROST ON" I don't care much about reading that byte. however byte 26 is transmission info on a186 and its the idle speed step count in the a140

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to discern which def'n file is correct for my car. Should I just try to read some of the bits with different definitions between the files and see which one correlates to what the car is actually doing?

Appreciate any help, thanks.