Ford EEC-V questions

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

ATPCR

Ford EEC-V questions

Post by ATPCR »

While I'm waiting on my Scanmatic 2 Pro from Europe, (I tried twice to purchase a Mongoose Pro for Ford but there is a major supply issue), I purchased the recommended tool by ECU Tools to go with module # 29 to work with 1996-2004 Ford PCMs.
In my wait time, I have been reading some about bin swapping and the reasons why. I assume that the word BIN is short for storage bin and also curious as to why they are numbered 0,1,8,9, and not 1,2,3,4, and why some tools and/or software look at the bin arrangement in a different order. I'm also trying to visualize bin padding and adding null filler.
A 3rd QUESTION: I have a 1998 Ford Explorer V-6 PCM which will be the first PCM that I read and then after I download it and "save as", then what do I do with it? I want to see what the "raw" file looks like. I won't have a XDF file to look at it, or do I want to change it. I just want to see what makes it tick, so to speak.
ATPCR

Re: Ford EEC-V questions

Post by ATPCR »

Last night I found a program online called "Hex Editor Neo" I opened a 256k bin file in it and am able to see the hexadecimal code. I saw the repetitive lines of "ff ff ff" filler code. Total lines of code I think may be 40,000 divided by 16 x 10. ~25,000. Am I counting this correctly?
Q Now that I have the complete file in the hex editor, what do I do with it?
Q Can a bin file in TunerPro be opened with an XDF file that belongs to another bin or how does one begin to create an XDF file?
I have another PCM that is from A 1999 Crown Vic P71 and online, I haven't found a bin and xdf file that would be from the ARA1 tune.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

'Bin' is an abbreviation for binary and usually refers to a binary file.

The eec-v banks 0, 1 , 8 and 9 are numbered that way because of how Ford only use the BS0 and BS3 'bank select' lines of the microprocessor. How different software arranges the bank order is pretty much down to the authors preference.

If you extract the eec-v ROM contents you typically save it as a binary file. To view this 'raw' binary file use hex editor software. It will not mean much unless you are fluent in in 8065 machine code.

The number of lines you see in a hex editor are pretty much meaningless as a line is just showing a set number of bytes (e.g. some hex editors allow you specify the number of bytes viewed in a line).

Read the TunerPro help file if you want to know more about .xdf creation.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

Thanks, dex, 8065 Machine code in an internet search yielded information about a CNC machine with 8065 in its part number. In a search for just machine code a few results popped up.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

Last week in my first post, I mistakenly called the banks bins when I was talking about switching bank order. I have a Moates Quarterhorse on the way, and it makes me wonder if my bank orders are going to have to be rearranged to use the Moates device when I'm Using it for Real Time(RT) tuning?
decipha

Post by decipha »

if you read the bin with the qh then you can write the bin to the qh in the same software / configuration

swapping bank orders is when swapping software. I have scripts on my forum that do it for you just simply drag and drop.