1227165_160.ads 87-88 5.0/5.7 F & Y Body PID Question

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

DrunkenNemesis

1227165_160.ads 87-88 5.0/5.7 F & Y Body PID Question

Post by DrunkenNemesis »

Hello all,

Recently purchased an '87 Camaro L98 and picked up a Moates.net ALDL cable as well as TunerPro RT and had a couple of questions with which I was hoping someone could help.

When I load up the .ads definition file listed on the TunerPro website it has very limited PIDs; specifically, I was looking for the manifold air temp/intake air temp data but didn't see it listed in tuner pro with this definition file. Am I missing something? Or is this not available? Does the ECM not use this for fuel calculations and relies only on the CTS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-Steve
dex
The Ford Guy

Re: 1227165_160.ads 87-88 5.0/5.7 F & Y Body PID Question

Post by dex »

The 160 baud ALDL datastream is very limited in the number of parameters because of the slow transmission rate. The MAT is either missing from the definition (in which case the .ads needs updating) or is simply not present (in which case the calibration could be amended to replace one of the other parameters with the MAT parameter).

I believe the 1227165 ECM is capable of an 8192 baud ALDL datastream so, if the code in your application supports it, there may well be a .ads or .adx for that available somewhere.
DrunkenNemesis

Post by DrunkenNemesis »

I was thinking that may have been the case but figured there may be different definition files with different data layouts but haven't been able to find any that have something different. They all appear to be basically the same .ads file.

One other question, too: The airflow does not have units listed on it in the .ads file so it does not show up in TunerPro as anything other than a raw number; (MAF car) does anyone know if it is reported in mg/sec or some other unit? It reads at around 2400 at idle but that seems low if it is in mg/sec and I'm fighting an extremely rich running condition that I am trying to troubleshoot.

Thank you,
-Steve
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

You may need to find a definition specific to your ECM program ID.

Airflow is usually g/s and the conversion is usually X/4.
DrunkenNemesis

Post by DrunkenNemesis »

Thanks for your help, Dex. Your comment on the specific definition got me thinking and I did some more digging. It wasn't made very clear anywhere but though the '87 165 ECM uses $32B natively the $6E definition file will work for data monitoring and communication and the $6E definition file uses the 8192 communication protocol. The $6E masks also have many more data streams to view/log. To make it work I just have to initiate connection with the 10K resistor and switch the resistor off once communication is established to switch to the 8192 communication speed.

Much appreciated!