Ls motor swap help

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

90K5

Ls motor swap help

Post by 90K5 »

I'm looking to put early 2000s 5.3 or 6.0 into my 90 k5 blazer. I have extensive auto knowledge and am inquiring if this program can modify the stock 2000s ecu to simplify my installation. I'm not looking to run more power i would mainly like to eliminate unnecessary emissions for my older off road vehicle. I have j2534 devices and am also seeing what people are using to hookup to stock ecu, I also have a tech 2.
krav84

Re: Ls motor swap help

Post by krav84 »

just a newbie as well so "trust but verify" and take my advice with a grain of salt, maybe 2 ;-)

i just swapped a 2002 5.3 Ls motor into my rust free 84 Cutlass with Th350 tranny. I have a 1220411 pcm on my 5.3 LS/vortec, made a de-pinned harness which eliminated tranny wires, and both after Cat O2 sensors among others.

This is as far as i got so far;

Step 1;
I made a bench harness, in my case its 4 wires to blue pins 1which is ground, 19&20 both power, 58 is serial data, which hooks up to a OBD2 connector where i have my OBD2 Lx dongle plugged into.
Step2;
Then I used PcmHammer to indentify my pcm and OS ID etc. Mine is a 12212156 OS
Then i clicked "Read entire pcm" which automatically prompts you to save it, so name it Stock bin so you know and have a Stock bin file to fall back on.
Step3;
Then I used TunerPro to do the tuning. First off i had to install the corresponding XDF to be able to read the OS 12212156 which i got from an LS1tech forum member
After that i opened that saved Bin file and just browsed thru the parameter tree to Delete VATS, Enable fans by having them come on @210/215 and both go off @190. Thats all the tuning i need so far. May have to delete trouble codes later.
Then click Save as and name it Modified bin with whatever detail u wanna include. This way you have your stock unmodified bin and now your new modified bin.

the only problem i had was when i clicked Save as i was able to save my bin but i got a Error some checksum files may be missing.

Step 4;
i havent completed this part yet because of my error, but i think if this error doesnt happen to you, you should be done editing and you can go back to PcmHammer.
You will probly need to re-initialize to wakeup the dongle and reconnect. then Open or click on your new modified bin and click
" write everything to the PCM. OS, Calibration and Boot. "
Faster92

Re: Ls motor swap help

Post by Faster92 »

Were you able to delete the trouble codes? I am basically where you left off...I rebuilt the engine in my 2004 Hummer H2 and installed the Holley Terminator X Max to run the engine & transmission, and depinned everything I wasn't using from the OEM ECU. I now have the reduced engine power message with the annoying chime, and I can't figure out how to turn it all off.