possible to do a 'no-lift-shift' on a $DA2

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

dizwiz24

possible to do a 'no-lift-shift' on a $DA2

Post by dizwiz24 »

Ive heard of some of the mitsubishi eclipse / evo guys do stuff like this.
Ive heard this is available on their common tuning software called DSM-Link or something of the sort.

Essentially a 'drag race' mode is entered (ie. uploaded before drag race) and whenever the cruise control kill switch (on clutch pedal) is activated (by depress clutch pedal for shifting) then a kind of 'rev-limiter' is activated. Something that holds rpm's around 3900 to 4000 rpm. Right where the motor will be at when shifting at redline into the next gear.

This allow's one to hold the throttle at 100% while speed shifting.

This would be especially advantageous for turbo / FI cars so they wont 'waste' all that boost between shifts....

Of course the regular 'rev-limter' is still maintained at whatever you have it set at (mine is 6000 rpm).

Is something like this at all possible ?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i've done this with nAst1, actually turned it into a 3-step limiter:

step 1 = not moving, clutch disengaged, for launching at high throttle but not high RPM

step 2 = moving, clutch disengaged, for shifting without lifting the throttle

step 3 = max RPM to allow before cut regardless of MPH or clutch status

anyways, mine are all based off of a fuel cut, probably going to give the option for ignition cut for the people that need it.
dizwiz24

Post by dizwiz24 »

robertisaar wrote:i've done this with nAst1, actually turned it into a 3-step limiter:

step 1 = not moving, clutch disengaged, for launching at high throttle but not high RPM

step 2 = moving, clutch disengaged, for shifting without lifting the throttle

step 3 = max RPM to allow before cut regardless of MPH or clutch status

anyways, mine are all based off of a fuel cut, probably going to give the option for ignition cut for the people that need it.

I think the fuel cut-off might be the better method.

A user on another website was telling me about this product he used for no lift shifting on his turbo lt1 corvette.

His only complaint was the fuel, etc. loads up during that brief instant when the ignition is cut. Can cause backfires, etc. Its not totally seamless.

http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

No lift shifting based on fuel cutoff would be the better method.

Itd be great to figure a way to enable a special user-programmable rev limiter that operated at a different value (say 4000 rpm) whenever the clutch pedal was depressed.

If the clutch pedal wasnt depressed the normal rev limiter would function...

Though I dont know how you would make it so that the rpm wouldnt be 4000rpm every time you pressed the clutch....I can only imagine...

Perhaps it could be programmed to work only within a prior rpm or TPS % history range (like only activate if the clutch pedal were depressed w/ engine speed > 5000 rpm and vehicle throttle was 99% or greater), and/or beyond a certain vehicle speed (ie. so it isnt taching up to 4000 rpm when you push in the clutch in stop-and-go traffic)
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the way i have it setup, it won't rev up to whatever the limit is when the clutch is depressed, only cut fuel or spark if above the limit you want.
dizwiz24

Post by dizwiz24 »

robertisaar wrote:the way i have it setup, it won't rev up to whatever the limit is when the clutch is depressed, only cut fuel or spark if above the limit you want.
ah... so if Im using cruise control (below 4000 rpm...or whatever the limit is... lol) everything will still work fine.

This allows engine rpms to 'fall' to a preset value (ie. rev-match for whatever value you set) when keeping the throttle 100% open and depressing the clutch pedal?

have you ever done this on a GM OBDI type tune (like $DA2) ?

Is it even possible?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

like i said, did it with nAst1, which is my modified version of A1.