Bin Stacker

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

DmcL

Bin Stacker

Post by DmcL »

quick question.. i havent used the stacker before so forgive the noobness.

can i use the stacker to stack 2 different bin files? the chip the ECU im working with use is a 27C256 but i want to stack 2 seperate files on a 27C512 chip as i have a device which goes between the 27C512 chip and the ECU with a switch on it to allow switching between the 2 halves of the 512 chip.

EDIT: think i got it.. loaded 2 seperate 32k files in the stacker with the following settings and saved the stacked file which is now 64k so im assuming it worked.

bin size 32k, chip size 64k, block size 32k
EthosMotorsports
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Subscibed...
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

why? lol

nothing earth shattering here :?

was just thinking it would be an easier way of writing 2 seperate files to a single (2x larger) chip than using the eprom programmer i have and manually changing the start and end addresses for both files.. if that would even work..

the interesting thing is the device which switches what areas of the 64k chip are read but unfortunately i didnt make it, a friend did and he sent it over to me to try out/play with.

wanting to burn 2 seperate files because with the switching device and a 64k chip i can have a "road" tune and a "drag" tune with launch control. the tune with launch control wouldnt be suitable for road use because the ECU im working with is old and only has a single rev limiter so i have to blank out a section of a fuel map to get the revs to stick where i want them to for a good launch. i tried daily driving a tune like that and any time the ECU read those blanked cells the car would buck until i put more/less load on the engine to get it away from the blanked cells in the map.
EthosMotorsports
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

DmcL wrote:why? lol

nothing earth shattering here :?
Yeah but I have never done this and have a switch ordered from Moatess for a upcoming project, so I wanted to learn. Thanks!
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

ah ok.. figured i was the odd one out who hasnt done this before lol
EthosMotorsports
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Moates has the "G3" switcher and I used it allot before I got the NVSRAM kit. With the larger chip you can have 16 bins on there to choose from.
I rarely had a hiccup when using it while running.
The zero position (or switch unplugged) is real nice for "Valet mode" or a way to limit RPM to 1500.
That way it can't be beat on, just moved around if needed.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

<-- also a G3 user/abuser....

gotta say, it's performed flawlessly.

but for just two tunes on one chip, all you need is a resistor and wire. i made a thread about it on 60degreev6, even made a youtube video showing it in action...
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Re: Bin Stacker

Post by Mangus »

DmcL wrote:EDIT: think i got it.. loaded 2 seperate 32k files in the stacker with the following settings and saved the stacked file which is now 64k so im assuming it worked.

bin size 32k, chip size 64k, block size 32k
You've got it indeed. Those are the correct settings to put two 32KB bins on a 64KB chip.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

robertisaar wrote:<-- also a G3 user/abuser....

gotta say, it's performed flawlessly.

but for just two tunes on one chip, all you need is a resistor and wire. i made a thread about it on 60degreev6, even made a youtube video showing it in action...
how does that work without a switch? or am i misunderstanding what u did?

@ mangus, yea i tried that and presto 2 seperate 32k files turned into a single 64k file with a seperate tune on each half of the 64k chip. i also tried the switching device a friend made with the 64k chip and tunes could be switched in the fly with no hiccups. i ended up using it to create ghetto launch control since motronic 1.3 doesnt have seperate rev limiters depending if the vehicle is moving or not. with the switch in the first position i have my normal aggro tune and in the second position i have the same tune but with low part throttle fuelling set to 0 in a specific little area where i want the engien to hold the revs, get the revs into that area and it holds then on launching and flooring the throttle load and revs increase bringing it out of the area of 0 fuelling and into normal running.

made a couple little videos of the the device/launch control in action also.

switching between tunes (launch control and no launch control):
http://youtu.be/MOcoUHds8Rk

launch control in action (slightly uphill hence park brake light on at the start):
http://youtu.be/KaW2xkKhh3s
EthosMotorsports
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcQd5IE_1dQ

my wire was my "switch", since i didn't want to make it a permanant installation in a car that already had the G3. the value of the resistor determines switching time, with more resistance = longer switch time. i had around a ~1 second delay with a little over 1K of resistance.
DmcL

Post by DmcL »

ah get u now.. was thinking u had some magical automatic switching setup for god knows what purpose.

whats the resistor for? smoother switching? theres no resistor on mine which was built as per this:

my ECU is socketed fro mthe factory tho so this just adapts a 27c512 to work and be able to switch between 2 files in the stock socket meant for a 27c256 chip.
EthosMotorsports
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

resistor is just for general circuit protection. it also provides somewhat of a "debounce" effect as well, in case the switch acts up and for some reason intermittently goes from closed-open or open-closed.
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

There easyer way to do this using a single wire from the Eprom to the switch, i made a diagram but dunno how to post it.

I also can provide Diagram for switching 4 maps.
hnracing

Post by hnracing »

robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i think i can make that for a little under $1..... :D

10 interwebz to hnracing.