BMW 318 m42 motronic 1.7 questions

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

jakeb

BMW 318 m42 motronic 1.7 questions

Post by jakeb »

I have been reading a great deal about tunerpro and motronic in general and have a few questions about motronic 1.7 used in the m42 dmes, (e30 175, e36 282/990).

At first I will be working with the e30 175 software but would like to eventually do some with the e36 stuff as well.

First I have seen different answers for what chip is used in the 175 dme. Is it the 27C512 or the 27C256? Or is the stock chip the 256 and then the 27C512 can be used ? I would like to read a couple chips I have and compare them to each other.

Second the bin/xdf that is located here has many different maps. Does anyone know which ones are used? Are they all used? I am planning on getting a autoprom/ostrich2 soon so I can live trace and see where it is reading when.

The entire reason for me to tune the 175 is because I am planning to add a turbo to the m42 and would love to stick with the stock dme rather than going standalone. So to run bigger injectors will I just need to adjust the AFM scale factors? Bigger injectors I would just need to lower the scale factor? Would the scale factors also be adjusted if I run a different AFM or convert to a MAF?

Does anyone know why the scale factors peak in the middle of the voltage range? It seems to do that on the 173 bin as well. I would think it would be somewhat linear....

I have read that the 1.7 always tries to target stoich unless in high load or WOT. Does anyone know where that switch point is and if it is possible to change it? I would like to make sure when in boost I am richer than stoich.

Thanks to anyone that can give me a hand. Also if there are any other places I can read more about the motronic (1.7 318 especially) please pass them along. I would like to learn about how to look at the raw code and understand what is going on but that is a bit above me right now.....more reading and research to do.

thanks for any and all help!!!! much appreciated!

Jake