87 K10 suburban with TPI

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

jameslleary@comcast.net

87 K10 suburban with TPI

Post by jameslleary@comcast.net »

Ok, I have been trying to at least get a good base tune for the tpi 350 in this truck(730 ECM), with no success. I don`t know if I am copying tables over wrong(Copying and manually entering TBI Van, or truck tables($0d) to the 8d tpi chip)
I am using APU1, but I know somebody must have a TPI Bin for a truck, as the swap has been done many times. I don`t have a laptop yet, so I can`t do any realtime datalogging.
I just need a decent stock tune for the heavier truck, until I get a laptop......AUJP just doesnt seem right. It seems a little lean on accelleration. My only other option is to go back to TBI.
TIA
Jim
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

if you havn't done it already i would change the tbi fuel pump 13psi."lean" for the larger much need tpi fuel pump and run a tpi bin. just a though from a newbie.
mark m
jameslleary@comcast.net

Thanks 89.
Actually, it an 86 suburban that was originally Carbureted, then i coverted to TPI, using an inline TPI pump. my problem is a base tune to use until I can get my hands on a notebook, to do some datalogging while driving.
The reason I say the truck is an 87, is that I have the 87-95 swirl port truck heads installed.
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

your welcome im new to this myself without the lap top. a 160 thermostat will help it run a little richer if lean is the problem . and you could increase the fuel pump pressure for a overall richer condition. rich is better then lean rich u replace plugs lean you replace the motor . untill you get a laptop thats the only help i can think of. once you get a laptop you can increase the accel inrichment. carb pump shoot. you might take some timing out .(richer) and it will help with the heavy chevy. wish i could tell you more but im new to all this .
mark m
jameslleary@comcast.net

Bump
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

89 IROC CONV wrote:your welcome im new to this myself without the lap top. a 160 thermostat will help it run a little richer if lean is the problem . and you could increase the fuel pump pressure for a overall richer condition. rich is better then lean rich u replace plugs lean you replace the motor . untill you get a laptop thats the only help i can think of. once you get a laptop you can increase the accel inrichment. carb pump shoot. you might take some timing out .(richer) and it will help with the heavy chevy. wish i could tell you more but im new to all this .
Although that may trick the ECM into thinking it's cold and enrich the engine, all the other things it would do would be horrible... use the correct thermostat for the chip/engine/car calls for.

From reading other guys who have tuned a TPI engine to a truck one thing that stood out was timing table was to much timing for a heavy truck. So I think your on the right path to start with a truck TBI spark table/advance until you can datalog with laptop and look for knock.

Since it's a conversion you will defiantly need to check fuel pressure before tuning. Just a couple pounds off makes the world of difference.