unbelievable spark problem .

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

89 IROC CONV

unbelievable spark problem .

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

hello everone, i have a spark problem i have never seen before. everypart of the ignition system is new. the problem is i have a glowing spark around the base of my spark plugs replaced 3 time with 3 different brands. it is not a hard spark as in a jumpin spark but a glow around the smoohe base of the plug where the proclin ends. on all 8 plugs replaced the wire's twice coil twice and the ignition module.. does not seem to do it when i frist start the car .but it is for a very short time frame. open or closed loop still does it. i have checked all the volatge reading at the ecm all correct. im using a stock bin in a mild sbc with a 268 cam on a 114. ecm friendly. i tested the pickup coil its in specs. is there some thing in $42 that will adjust the dwell so to speak. spark latency? .and if that is it. is that the time the pickup is open or closed. any ideal's? please suggest or advise. all so if i retard the timing lets say 12 degree at ideal the headers will start to glow. and the car has stock 305 injecters . and the new 02 still reads lean. and yes it is grounded. this is a mild 370hp 400ft tq motor. im running a x-ram intake stock crossfire tbi's at 13 pounds presure. on anlw5469 $42. no egr. i would like to get this new motor tuned . but i need to fix the spark issue frist help help !
mark m
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

the above problem short in ignition switch.
mark m
Bram

Post by Bram »

Hi, was reviewing TunerPro and came across your dilemma. I was reading my factory service manual the other day and came across the very thing you describe, a blue halo around the base of the porcelain. It is called corona discharge and is perfectly normal for high tension ignition. I'm guessing you have over 50,000 volts in your ignition coil. My manual says its nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Bram