Totally in the dark here

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

budfreak

Totally in the dark here

Post by budfreak »

I downloaded tunerpro RT, but I do not understand how to use it as far as bin files and all that goes. I have a ALDL to USB cable and so on. Where do I find the files needed for my 91 L98 F body? I looked on tunerpros site and they are listed there, but when I click them it is just a bunch of text.
I'm not looking to burn a chip or anything, I just want to be able to see what the car is doing and so on. Any help would be great, Thanks.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

depending on what browser you're using, you may need to right-click and select "save target as" to get the file to save, rather than the browser attempting to open it.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

robertisaar wrote:depending on what browser you're using, you may need to right-click and select "save target as" to get the file to save, rather than the browser attempting to open it.
I am using AOL 10.1. I will try that and see what happens but I want to get the numbers off the ECU tomorrow to make sure i get what I need.
Thanks for the suggestion.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

being a 91 L98, i can almost guarantee it's 8D.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

robertisaar wrote:being a 91 L98, i can almost guarantee it's 8D.
I saved the 8D .ecu file to my desktop along with the ALDL file and it seems like it may work.
I'll take the laptop out tomorrow and see if I can make it all work for sure.
Thank you very much for the help so far.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

Ok, I took the laptop out today, played with the files for about 1-2 minutes and imported the XDF from the ECU and VOILA! it works perfectly! So far I've only played with it for about 15 minutes, but I had graphs going and the dashboard and so on. How do you switch from Celcius to Fehrenheit on the temp readings?
What does it mean at the bottom of the screen where it says "not ready" and "hardware not detected" and "not ready to emulate"?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

all of the stuff at the bottom is for either emulation or burning hardware, so you can ignore it.

as for temps in *C to *F, if you're using the ADS or ADX i made, i include both, but if not, then change the conversion from X*.75-40 to Z*1.35-40 and you're set.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

robertisaar wrote:all of the stuff at the bottom is for either emulation or burning hardware, so you can ignore it.

as for temps in *C to *F, if you're using the ADS or ADX i made, i include both, but if not, then change the conversion from X*.75-40 to Z*1.35-40 and you're set.
Can you explain to me how to do that? I'm not into code yet and am a complete friggin noob. :lol:
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

wellm are you using V4 or V5? or both?
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

robertisaar wrote:wellm are you using V4 or V5? or both?
version 4.14
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ok, that should be easy then.

press F4 and you'll bring up the ALDL screen.

click "Edit ALDL Datastream".

go to ALDL sensor data and expand it. you should now be able to find all of the temp related stuff.

click on any one of them and change the "factor" from .75 to 1.35.

now you're pretty much done, just do it to the rest of the values as well. you should probably also change the units from *C to *F.

for 8D, the IAT/MAT value uses a lookup table, so instead of changing the "factor" you'll open the lookup tables selection to the left and then select any part of the table. now press Ctrl + A, then underneath all of the values, press the convert table button.

now you're done(unless you want to change the label in MAT/IAT to *F, but you should know how to do this by now.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

robertisaar wrote:ok, that should be easy then.

press F4 and you'll bring up the ALDL screen.

click "Edit ALDL Datastream".

go to ALDL sensor data and expand it. you should now be able to find all of the temp related stuff.

click on any one of them and change the "factor" from .75 to 1.35.

now you're pretty much done, just do it to the rest of the values as well. you should probably also change the units from *C to *F.

for 8D, the IAT/MAT value uses a lookup table, so instead of changing the "factor" you'll open the lookup tables selection to the left and then select any part of the table. now press Ctrl + A, then underneath all of the values, press the convert table button.

now you're done(unless you want to change the label in MAT/IAT to *F, but you should know how to do this by now.
OK, I got it all done (I think). I'll hook it up to the car again later and see how it works.
Thanks again.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

Ok, I went out and checked it out and it seems to be working perfectly reading Fehrenheit. Thanks again for the help, I'm sure I'll be on here plenty asking questions so I can learn.:)
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

where are you at in Ohio?
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

34blazer wrote:where are you at in Ohio?
Right outside of Steubenville.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

Hi guys, long time no see. i haven't done this in quite awhile, but I now have version 5 and need to know how to set it to fehenheit instead of celcius. Also, it seems to be kind of skitchy when reading data. It continuously loses connection or something for just a second and the readings keep jumpig around.
budfreak

Post by budfreak »

Any help? Really want to dial my car in better and can't do it until I have these 2 problems resolved.