Which ecm to use for a SBC engine swap?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

paramax55

Which ecm to use for a SBC engine swap?

Post by paramax55 »

This may be a better question than the one about the memcal; Should I use a different ecm?

I am taking the V12 and automatic transmission out of my Jaguar and putting in a SBC V8 with a 5-speed manual transmission. I am using a 1976 305 bottom end from a nova - completely stock. I will be running twin turbos with eBay manifolods. The intake is TPI-1990 or so. These parts were all chosen because I was able to get them cheap!

I had intended to run the 7730 computer with a MAP setup. In searching for information on a memcal for this engine, I am reading information that says one of the reasons they are hard to find is that people have moved on to a newer ecm that doesn't require a memecal.

I have had good success tuning my Motronic in my BMW for 35# injectors and a 10psi turbo. It took all of 2 hours to make it run right, then another couple of weeks of "tweaking" to get it just about perfect. I'd like to have similar results with this motor swap.

So... Is the 7730 the best thing to go with for this setup? Or is there a newer, better ecm out there now? I will be tuning it with Tunerpro and a Moates emulator.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

a 1227727 and 1227730 are identical ECMs except for the 7727 is a weatherproof model with different connectors. the 1227749 is VERY similar to the 1227730. all of them can run code59(see code59.org for more info about it), which is a boosted mask with LOTS of support.
paramax55

Post by paramax55 »

Thanks! I looks like I am on the right track...
paramax55

Post by paramax55 »

Holy schnikeys Batman! 101 powerpoint tutorial, 202 powerpoint tutorial, autotune, support for whatever option you want... If I had a GM with a different ECU, I would probably switch just because of what is available! This should be a piece of cake! If I didn't have my Motronic running so well on the BMW, I would probably switch to a 7730!