Newb Question

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

383 Stroker

Newb Question

Post by 383 Stroker »

I was just curious as to whether or not i could use your program to make a chip for my '89 chevy truck.. It came with a TBI 350 and i know it uses a removable eprom.. I don't know how similar this is to the f-body set-up, but could your program be used for my application? :oops:

Thank you for your time :)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Sure can! You just need to find out what ECM your truck uses and what code mask the chip is. You'll also need the necessary equipment for reading and burning your chip.

For the equipment:
http://www.moates.net
You'll need at least a BURN1 to burn chips
You'll likely need an adapter (a G1 or G2, depending on what type of ECM)
You'll probably want a memcal header to read the original chip without removing it (again depending on ECM type).

You'll likely want to read this, too:
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml

Have fun!

M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
383 Stroker

Post by 383 Stroker »

Thank you very much!

I'm gonna guess this is gonna be a Time consuming adventure.. The motor is not even close to stock anymore.. actually there's not a stock part under the hood other than the block.. I went the carb route when i built it because it was going to cost me $400 to get a custom chip burnt and they didn't garuntee it to be accurate.. :shock:

Thanks agian.. I figure I'll have lots of questions before long :)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

There is certainly a learning curve associate with it, but if you're spending $400 to get a custom chip burned (in most cases the outcome is "Good enough" rather than perfect), then your eally ought to consider getting into this. You'll save a lot of money and ultimately (the coolest part) you'll have complete control over your engine and tune.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am