revision ID and text

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

JP86SS

revision ID and text

Post by JP86SS »

I didn't see this in the suggestions anywhere (probably there somewhere)
Is it possible to do a revision number on the bin you are working with in TunerPro and store this in the prom ID code segment of the bin program itself? rather than resaving with a new name each time.
I thought it would be cool if there was a way to keep tweaking the bin and have backup copies made at each save point to give a way to go backwards incrementally and be able to track the version by the ID code and have text to show what changed at each saved point.
Possibly even a text dump output of the revisions at each save with the ID code that was incremented.
Would make the job of documenting (and remembering) easier rather than doing file compares that show changes that can only be hand written (not meant to be a poke :) :lol: )
I didn't see anywhere that the ID code is really used for anything but identying the program on the chip.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

good suggestions. thanks!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Logs

Post by JP86SS »

Oh, hit me in the head with a log!
I just found that you ARE already generating log files for changes in 3.07 :oops:
It's nice that someone who uses the software makes it, you are doing a great job Mark!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Yeah, the log feature has been in there for quite a while, but what you describe is a little different.

I do plan to improve the logging feature in the software eventually. I'll probably add a user interface for keeping notes and stuff too.

Thanks!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Expanding the idea

Post by JP86SS »

It jumped into my little mind that this could be neat!
If there is the way that each time you made a change in the bin (while emulating) that a log is updated with the change and the promID is incremented.
Now all that is left is to allow reading the promID in the datalogs to have indications of where each change was made. Add the promID to the .ads file for export to the csv.
That would help separate the data when doing continuos changes on the road and allow you to find the points in the log that are relevant to success.
This is geared more twards the "switcher" and emulating modes than for single burn datalogging.
:D
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Pretty good idea. I'll look into it. This would also allow you to, at any time, view a history of a particular bin. You could enter a PROM ID and it owuld tell you what changes were made to get to that ID.

There would be some things taht would need to be worked out, though. For instance, during emulation you may open up a constant (we'll say Base Timing for our example) and increment or decrement it many times in the process of getting it right. There really is no need to increment the PROM ID and update the log with every minor change. Its more relevant to change the ID and log once at set intervals or at the user's descretion (maybe by hitting an easily accessable button)? Interesting! You should think through some real-world usage scenarios and refine the idea. Let me know what you come up with!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Will do !

Post by JP86SS »

The thought came up using the 16 bins in my 40 chip.
I was switching back and forth to check different areas I had made changes in.
#2 was more spark off idle, #3 was more spark + a little more VE in that area.
the setups are helping me get good results but sometimes I get lost in the logs as to where the change to the next bin was made.
Normally I hit the throttle 3 times to indicate it but in some driving it looks like my foot was shaking :)
I'll try to refine it, I know there's something neat to it but I don't want you to spend time writing code for something that doesn't make the world better!
Thanks,
JP