BMW tuning need advise

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

hollywood_x

BMW tuning need advise

Post by hollywood_x »

So I'm not new to tuning but I am new to BMW's and OBDI tuning. I have tuned DSM's / Evo's for years and have knowledge in the mechanical aspects as well as instrumentation of modern tuner cars. My issues and weaknesses lie with Hex / bin files and searching through code to get a tunable table. Most everything I have done has been off of software that engineers have developed with simplistic GUI.

Now that I am tuning a platform that doesn't have that type of spftware I guess its time I learn. Just need some help on how it all works and what all you use to sort through the information to discover what your looking for.

As of now I am gathering everything I need to tune a couple OBDI BMW's. So far it looks like Ostrich 2.0 and Tuner Pro RT are the items I need to read and write on the ECU.
Is this correct or am I missing something?
Also will this combo allow me to data log?
How do I know what ECU I have in these cars?

Any help would be much appreciated

:lol:
E36Mafia

Post by E36Mafia »

First off id like to say im right with you. Ive got a 325is and an M3 that both need tunes. And this is my first go aswell. Maybe we can both work to figure this one out.

Ive been reading up on the data links and it looks like KWP2000+ is the first choice of many. And the Galetto 1260 is also pretty popular. They say you can also hack a shark injector to do this also.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

im not real up on the bmw tuning stuff, but i have been tuning hondas for years and recently got into GM stuff. i am also planning to tune my obd1 m3 in the near future. all of my research shows that you cant really log obd1 bmw's. you can do cell tracing through the ostrich and that will also emulate the chip for real time programming.

im not sure what you mean by editing the hex, tuner pro has a GUI to tune with airflow/rpm just like all other tuning software
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

hollywood_x
PM me your ECU number