Logging with ostrich 2?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

PhilStubbs

Logging with ostrich 2?

Post by PhilStubbs »

I was poking around looking at some BMW stuff on this site(I have a 95 m3 I plan to tune eventually) and saw someone say you can do some logging with an ostrich 2 with tunerpro. Is that something I can do with a 7747 ECM or only the BMW stuff?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

That was probably address hit tracing that was being discussed with the BMW, since they don't have an ALDL connection, like the GMs do.

I'm sure it could be used with the '7747, but I've never tried it, since I have an ALDL cable. I also have read that it's not as good as using an ALDL cable.

If you are asking specifically about the table tracing, yes this can be done with the '7747 and an ALDL cable, just needs some items set-up, if your XDF isn't already set-up for it.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

I guess it really doesn't matter. Moates got aldl cables back in stock. I will just buy one.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

It really is the easiest way to get the data you need, that can't be see in address hit tracing and to get tracing to work.

Just as an FYI, your XDF might need some simple editing to get tracing to work. I find that not many XDFs have the X and Y settings set-up, that I have downloaded.

Did you get the Ostrich to connect more reliably now? I haven't seen an update to that.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

I haven't had a chance to try it. I have been helping a couple guys from Canada with their Grassroots Motorsports $2010 Challenge car. I dyno tuned it on a local dyno last night and today was the auto-x. Tomorrow is the drag race and they want me to do most of the runs and I also have to do a quick tune on another competitors car. Busy few days. Lol. Maybe Sunday or Monday.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Cool.

A friend of mine from Florida is supposed to be there too, tuning a BMW.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

Was it a turbo e30 BMW? I saw one that was pretty quick.

If you talk to him, we had the "Ken Block" civic hatch. The turbo spiked to 30psi or so and shot parts through the side of the block at the end of the day. Lol.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Yep, that would be the one, IIRC it's black.

That sucks, to get that kind of carnage, especially with one more day to go.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

Today is the last day. We got 15th(I think) in the auto-x and I managed a 15.5 in the 1/4 shifting at 6k cause it was breaking up.

I wasn't involved in building the car, I only tuned it but they wanted me to make some drag runs cause they are auto-x guys and I have some drag experience.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Turns out the one my friend was helping with was the white one, that took 3rd overall.

I just saw pictures of that car and a black one that had an LSx.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

There was a pretty badass white one with a turbo. It sounded insane. I am about to build a 91 civic hatchback for next year. Gotta get this truck tuned to tow it though. Lol

Speaking of the truck. I got a new ostrich cable cause I was having some problems with hondas too. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Now I'm having trouble logging. I ordered the aldl setup through moates at the same time as the ostrich cable. Tunerpro says it's connected but I can't get it to show me anything and it also says mismatched xdf ads file. Any ideas?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I wouldn't worry so much about that mismatch warning, it may be an issue, but all it is telling you is that the ads, that you are using has a different name than what is saved in the xdf as the "matching" ads.

Lets just go through your set-up just to be sure everything is correct:

Tuner Pro RT version? (I believe it's V4.14, correct?)
XDF you are using?
ADS/ADX you are using?
Com port set correctly for the cable? You can use "Verify cable" button to make sure, just don't have the cable plugged into the truck, when you use this test.

The issue with the 160 baud datastreams, is that you can have no cable connected to the laptop, and have "connected" show up in the taskbar.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

Well, after a little more playing with it, I got it working. I downloaded a different ADS file and no more warning and it shows info.

Now I'm moving on to the issue of the cell tracing. The ADS file I have is from the tunerpro site. Does that one need editing to do that?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

It possibly may need to be edited.

In each table, you can highlight then hit F2, to bring up the box that allows editing of that table. The last tab, will have "ALDL Association." You will see in this tab, drop down menus to select the X and Y axis association. You will need the ADS loaded at the same time.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

ok, i found what you are talking about. do i need to have the truck running and everything connected? also, what exactly needs to be in the x and y spaces? sorry for my im sure simple questions.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

No, you don't need any hardware connected to edit the XDF, just have the XDF and ADX/ADS loaded.

Once you click on the drop down menu it should have some selections that are defined by the ADS/ADX, that you have loaded.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

I will have to take a screenshot tonight. I had everything loaded up as if I was going to tune but with no hardware connected and I don't see any way to edit.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

ok, here is a screenshot of where i end up following your directions. it wont let me put anything in the x or y boxes(not that i know what needs to go in there anyway) lol

ok, so right after posting this, something caught my eye that i read trying to figure. i remember reading that it cant be set to "string". i changed them to "floating point" and then it allowed me to set it for RPM and MAP. cant wait to see if it works now.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

Well, I got to do some tuning Saturday. Everything works. Thanks for your help good sir.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

No problem.

Glad to hear you got it all working. :D

Anything else you need? :)
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

Hopefully this is the last thing. Lol

Is it possible to log my lc-1 through the narrowband wire? Trying to glance back and forth from the wideband and cell tracing is tough.

Or is there some other way to log the wideband?

I have tried searching to see if I could log with logworks through the ALDL cable and can't find much info. I don't think it's possible to log the wideband through the serial port with tunerpro either is there?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Yes, the quick head snap back and forth.... then remembering....

Yeah, not fun.

There are ways to log the WBO2.

Most people use the EGR input and connected to the 5V output of the WBO2 controller, then edit their ADS/ADX to change the EGR values to WBO2 values.

Another way that I have thought of, but haven't tried it myself is to change the 5V output to a 1V linear output and log through the NB O2 input. The ECM would NEED be in open loop, otherwise the ECM will try to compensate for the voltage changes. Again, this is only theory, I have dones some initial testing on my test bench, but haven't needed to use it in car, so I haven't verified 100% that it would work yet. The ADS would also need to modified to show true AFR in relation to the voltage input.
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

It seems like I read somewhere that my 7747 ECM couldn't do that with the egr, that's why I was thinking about the NB wire.