any body tried $A1 7730 locked in open loop?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

fASTCAV29

any body tried $A1 7730 locked in open loop?

Post by fASTCAV29 »

Any body tried running a 7730 with $A1 locked in open loop? I road race my 3400 cavy so I'm not to worried about perfect idle or mileage just easy to tune and go fast its on WFO most of the time any ways. I think I can raise the "min coolant temp for closed loop" to the 159 deg C and it will never go to closed loop. Any body have an opinion?
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i have done this MANY times... it's very useful when you have a wideband since it won't make the read AFR swing so much.

which XDF are you using anyway? there's a good chance i have a much more thorough one sitting on my laptop.

and a properly setup tune will work great in open loop as well, just now you won't be stuck with using the stoich value in the BIN, you use the open loop AFR table and the PE table.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I've tuned $A1 a few times for friends and always used open loop to do it.

I may have even left it in open loop...
fASTCAV29

xdf

Post by fASTCAV29 »

XDF is $a1. I am running in closed loop now and the car runs fine I just feel like I could get some more ponies wiith an old school tune.
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

what do you mean by "old school tune"?

and hit Ctrl + F2...

do you see anything like this:

created 8/21/2009 by Robert Saar. latest changes made 02/16/2010

??
fASTCAV29

Post by fASTCAV29 »

you know through some timing at it bigger jets change the metering valves instead of the ecu adjusting after the fact
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"
fASTCAV29

Post by fASTCAV29 »

didn't see anything with Ctrl+F2
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i'll never play with carbs again by choice.... tuning via keyboard has it's advantages.

a carb never adjusts to issues though, it just does what it's set to do, no kind of corrections.

and that should have brought up the XDF header window...

if there was nothing in it, there's a good chance you're using a rather incomplete XDF.
fASTCAV29

Post by fASTCAV29 »

I'll try again at home on my lap top it always works. Thanks for the help. I agree on the carb tuning but it will be nice to adjust the timing or the fuel map and see the results and not wonder if the program is hiding some thing from me. there is always the risk of going to far with no net but no pain no gain right?
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

This sounds like more of an open vs closed loop question than $A1 specific.

FWIW, I run my Datsun ($59) in open loop, and have done so for most of the time it's been EFI. I have used closed loop for a bit just to see how well the WBO2 controls closed loop, but went back to open loop, because it seemed a little smoother at the time, that and I needed more work on the fuel and timing tables.

In open loop I run a lean 15.5 to 16.2 AFR while cruising on the highway. It gets great milage, over 20 MPG last time I calculated, and that's not taking it easy either.
fASTCAV29

Post by fASTCAV29 »

Exactly I want to tune by WBO2 and lap time and know what I changed in the program effected the out come with little or no ECU adjustments. I'm just not sure of the best way to keep $A1 in open loop and thought some body might have done it already saveing me a lot of time.
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"
fASTCAV29

Post by fASTCAV29 »

robertisaar wrote:what do you mean by "old school tune"?

and hit Ctrl + F2...

do you see anything like this:

created 8/21/2009 by Robert Saar. latest changes made 02/16/2010

??
I see what you mean Robert there is no author on the header page but I got the 3400 XDF from Shane Wethington off of this forum and it worked great out of the box but I am planing to up the commpression and add a warmer camshaft this winter and want to do some tweaking.
Fastcav 29
"Pushrods 4ever"