Need 7730 V8 memcal info

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

paramax55

Need 7730 V8 memcal info

Post by paramax55 »

I am familiar to tuning. I have retuned my motronic to run my 10psi turbo on my M20 BMW engine - better than factory! But I am starting on a new project.

I am putting a small block Chevrolet V8 in a jaguar and I am going to run it with the 7730 ecu. I know the big issue is the V8 memcal and, other than that, the computers are a dime a dozen. I have found surprizingly little information on the memcal through Google. Is there a schematic for it somewhere? Has someone broken it down as far as how it works? Can the V6 memcal be reprogrammed (not the eprom, the other part) with the V8 info and maybe run an external knock sensor module? Can you reprogram the memcal and just not run knock sensing (Motronic does just fine without it)? Anybody have any better ideas?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the non-EPROM portion of the MEMCAL isn't something that can be programmed, they are NETRES and the knock filter. they were at one point being documented so that they could be reproduced later if they became scarce but the MEMCALs are cheap enough from a junkyard anyway. running without knock sensing isn't a very smart thing to do, IMO.

BTW: the knock filter portion of the MEMCAL is based on two things: bore size and valvetrain. meaning if you're going to run a 350 with roller lifters, find a MEMCAL from a 350 with roller lifters.
paramax55

Post by paramax55 »

Everything in my junkyard that used to have a 350 is pretty gutted by the time it makes it out there. Even then, I think most guys are putting carburetors (I just threw-up in my mouth a little) on them. Maybe the computers are still out there. I'll check. I've noticed that the V8 memcals are $150.00 or so on eBay.

Thanks for the NETRES info. If the other portion is really just network resistors, shouldn't it be pretty simple to duplicate?

And if the knock filtering portion is specific to the engine, it's really not going to match what I am using. I am using the TPI intake setup on a 305 bottom end with twin turbos. I know, I know, but I already own the bottom end and it is freshly rebuilt and it will still out-perform the V12...

I already have an external knock circuit in the Jaguar. Can't that be used in place of the Chevrolet knock filtering? It's adjustable.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

since you're using a 305(and presumably it still has the bore of a 305), you should use the MEMCAL from a 305(and match the type of lifters as well). the memcals on ebay shouldn't be that expensive. brand new ones, maybe, but not used ones.

the NETRES could be duplicated, but i don't have enough knowledge about that specific of compnents to be able to give you much more info about it.

using the jag knock stuff: do you really want to trust that kind of motor to something that may or may not pick up knock the way it should?
paramax55

Post by paramax55 »

LOL... I understand your concern... The knock stuff I built myself. It just happens to be in the Jag already. It was necessary because the factory tuning sucked on that engine. It worked quite well and I was thinking of putting it in the BMW, but I would still need the MEMCAL info to be able to interface with the 7730.

The stuff on eBay looks to be new. The cheapest one for a 305 is $100.00 + $9.00 shipping. Kind of sucks because I can get a V6 7730 for $50.00 if I don't want to shop around.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You can do away with all the external knock equipment and just run the MEMCAL based filter with the KS connected directly to the ECM. You can also run an external ESC module, like that is used by vehciles equipped with a '165 or '7747 style ECMs, but requires some modification of the MEMCAL itself, specifics I don't recall.

V6 MEMCALs can be modified to run a V8, and have proper values, it involves soldering a jumper between two pins, again I don't recall the specifics.

The specifics can be found on thirdgen.org in the DIY PROM section.
paramax55

Post by paramax55 »

Ah! Thanks! I've been reading on Thirdgen.org anyway. I'll look for that memcal mod. Soldering a wire is a no-brainer for me.
JP86SS

Memcal info

Post by JP86SS »

Check out this one.
I measured them but have still not done the tracing to see what does what. If you have anything you can add it would be appreciated.
Jp
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-p ... emcal.html
paramax55

Post by paramax55 »

@JP86SS

That link was golden! It was quite a chase to follow that thread, plus all of the others it linked to, and the ones that those linked to, but I ended up with about 4 "saves." I can take a V6 memcal (cheap), short the cylinder select to ground to get the V8 injector timing, forget about the limp home mode, and add an external knock sensor if I feel like it. Thank you so much!