Tuning Equipment Question- Warning-Noob

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Cruzer Dood

Tuning Equipment Question- Warning-Noob

Post by Cruzer Dood »

Hi Guys, I need some info. I couldn't get logged on to Moats to ask, but figured it might be OK here, as it relates to using Tuner Pro RT. I'm working with a #16197427 PCM, on a carb to TBI swap. Beings I'm just learning this EFI stuff ( 54 YO Newbie ), and am getting ready to place an order, some feedback/correction would be appreciated. This is what I " think " I need- #1 Tunerpro RT ( allready downloaded, will have to register ), #2-Ostrich 2.0, #3-G2 adapter and Zif socket, #4-Burn2 programmer. OR . . . do I get the Autoprom and eliminate some of the above? In all honesty, I've been looking thru TGO, Full Size Chevy and a couple of other forums to get a feel for this, but kind'a feel like I'm dealing with information overload since its kind'a Greek right now. Is the Moats Autoprom basically like BobR's EBL in function? I've read some on it, and if so would help me to understand a little how it works. Hope the question isn't out of place. Thanks, Al
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

EBL and the autoprom are WAY different. the autoprom is an all in one tuning/logging/emulation setup while the EBL is actually a replacement ECM.
Cruzer Dood

Post by Cruzer Dood »

Thanks Robert. So with the Autoprom I still use my PCM in the system? What about the other components listed in #1, do I need ALL of them, or am I confused in some of there uses. Thanks, Al
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the autoprom replaces ALL of them, it's essentially a complete tuning package: from datalogging to emulating to burning. it plugs into where the stock MEMCAL would be and you go from there.

if you buy things individually, you will need an ALDL cable, then your choice of either an emulator or burner. i didn't feel the need for realtime changes, so i went the cheaper route and bought a BURN2.