Correct DXF for "Howell TBI" Jeep 258ci six...

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

tomic

Correct DXF for "Howell TBI" Jeep 258ci six...

Post by tomic »

Hi, I've got a Howell TBI jeep conversion kit on my AMC 232ci six. It's a 1227747 ECM with custom EPROM. The $42 is correct for nearly everything, but the PROM ID string (well, two bytes) is 08 D5, and the checksum was $AA, so it was hacked by Howell.

XDF $42 works, except for two things: COOLANT TEMPERATURE is wacko, and MAP is displayed as voltage, not pressure.

Coolant temp, indicated by Tunerpro, starts off at 151C (engine cold) and warms up to 52C. Actual running temp is 190F (measured by me). I'm sure this is due to the fact that the sensor installed in the intake coolant is the AMC part, with different calibration than the corresponding GM part.

Does anyone have a %%%TABLE%%% for the AMC/Howell temp sensor? Or, how do I create one? My DVM will give me the sensor analog outs...

THe other thing is simpler: TunerPro displays MAP output as voltage. I know it's a linear relationship (volts-->pressure) but can I coerce TunerPRo to display it for me, converted? Since the fuel tables use pressure...

Elsewise, TunerPro RT is great! I got the BPC corrected (smaller engine, different chassis...) and next I go ruin the fuel maps...!
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

If you search on here, you'll find information about adding ads items to the ads file, and how to scale them for 0 to 100.

I know what you mean about the coolant temo being displayed backwards, this doesn't appear to be a sensor problem, but an ads problem, at least it appears that way.

I keep meaning to edit my ads to have the coolant displayed properly, but had forgot about doing so, thanks for reminding me. :D

BTW, the xdf is the mask used to display the bin and modify, the ads is used to decipher the ALDL datastream, it seems like you are talking about both in your post.
tomic

Post by tomic »

Six_Shooter wrote:I know what you mean about the coolant temo being displayed backwards, this doesn't appear to be a sensor problem, but an ads problem, at least it appears that way.
Yeah, it's a display problem only; the loop does close so it's gotta be working.
BTW, the xdf is the mask used to display the bin and modify, the ads is used to decipher the ALDL datastream, it seems like you are talking about both in your post.
D'oh, I did mix the two. I know the difference -- when I'm paying attention :-) Newbie here. There's a lot of trivia to learn!

Thanks for the help!