Help...2 BAR patch needed for two different setups

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

TGPilot

Help...2 BAR patch needed for two different setups

Post by TGPilot »

Hello all,

Wondering if there is a way, or if it is already available, to convert something to 2 bar for boosted applications. If it is crazy in depth and someone wants to make some money getting it done...that is an option. :wink:

I have two vehicles I need to get tuned:

1). 1995 GMC 1500 Vortec 350 with a Procharger strapped to it.
2). 1993 LT1 F-body with lots o' goodies and large Procharger.

Please let me know as soon as possible what all is entailed or if it is already out there.

Thanks much!
-Kenny
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You'll be far better off to start with a 2 BAR (or even 3 BAR) bin, and if need be swapping the ECM to one that will work with that bin, such as $58 and a 7749 $8D (or is it $8F?) and 7727, etc.

It seems that anytime the idea of 'modifying an existing 1 BAR bin to a 2 BAR file', the replies seem to indicate that it's much more work than it's even worth, some will even say it's not possible.

Swapping to a different ECM isn't all that difficult. The GMC should be pretty straightforward as I'm quite sure the ECM is in the cabin and might be a 7747, or the newer version of the TBI ECM that I don't recall the number.

the F-body though I believe uses an underhood ECM and you might be able to use a 7727, with the V6 boosted code and change some parameters in that. There might even be a flag to change it to V8 if that's what you are dealing with.

Many boosted V8 tuners seem to use the 7749, and $58 code, modified for V8.

There is new code availble that is based on $58, called $59. The VE table has been extended to 3 BAR, with many more points for resolution. This code has been tested on the '7730, which is very similar to a '7727, so code $59 might work on a 7727 for an underhood solution, but has not been tested to my knowledge.
TGPilot

Post by TGPilot »

Hey Six Shooter,

Thank you for the reply!

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. So technically to convert the truck or the car to 2 bar...use a PCM that already has that "operating system" available.

So I have vast experience tuning and modifying Turbo Grand Prixs (1227727/1227730) using the $8F definition.

What I would need to do is locate the pin outs for each PCM...the Turbo Grand Prix and 1500 truck or 93 LT1 and make sure the proper sense lines were utilized?

One issue I can think of is that I know in the TGP code there is a flag for the number of cylinders...but not for firing order. I wonder how everything would play together?

I obviously have some research to do.

If you have any other ideas or things that pop to mind please let me know.

Thank you again for your reply!!

-Kenny
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

What's firing order have to do with it?

The ECM doesn't know or care about which cylinder is fired in succesion, at least not on a batch or bank fire ECM.

The cylinder select is just to determine what devisors to use when it comes to RPM related fuctions as far as I know. I'm sure there might be some other function to it as well.

Basically there are many common functions between all ECMS and will just need to match those functions between each ECM.