Vette 165 ECM Questions - Help Explain XDF or Template Diffs

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

ramiles

Vette 165 ECM Questions - Help Explain XDF or Template Diffs

Post by ramiles »

Want to better understand the XDF or template file as it pertains to the 165 ECM on 86 thru 89 Corvettes. If the ECM is the same on these 4 years then why are different XDF files needed? For example I can get a BIN file from a chipburner, burn it to a chip myself and then run it in the car. For my 1986 Vette, with TunerPro I can seemingly read that BIN file's tables and constants with either the $32, $32B, or the $6E template files, although some template files seem to have more or better "hacks".

Is there really a separate XDF I must use or is it optional and if so which one should I use?

My simple mental concept is that the BIN is just a series of programming variables locations and data values for those variables, while the ECM box must havesome additional memory with the "programming" (i.e the algorythms that interpolate and act on these data variables), and that programming must be the same for all 4 years? Is this accurate?

Thanks for any help in getting the big picture better.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The 32, 32B, and 6E are analogous to the "operating system." GM changed operating systems in the different model years between 86 and 89, but they all ran on the same computer. Much like Windows 98 and XP both run on the same PC, but they're different operating systems.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
ramiles

Post by ramiles »

With you so far, but need more help. I ordered a second BIN from Alvin at PCM For Less. Can I use any of the -165 ECM XDF files to read the flags and values he set for me - Is there a way I can tell which "operating system" he may have used on that particular BIN?. Back to your OS analogy - does the bin file contain the "OS" code the same way a Windows XP CD does - or is that hard loaded in the ECM?

Thanks for trying to help me understand. Would like to be able to modify the 2nd BIN I got from Alvin, but so far every value looks to be the same between his first and the second (which is supposed to update for new heads and cam shaft).
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

ramiles wrote:With you so far, but need more help. I ordered a second BIN from Alvin at PCM For Less. Can I use any of the -165 ECM XDF files to read the flags and values he set for me - Is there a way I can tell which "operating system" he may have used on that particular BIN?. Back to your OS analogy - does the bin file contain the "OS" code the same way a Windows XP CD does - or is that hard loaded in the ECM?

Thanks for trying to help me understand. Would like to be able to modify the 2nd BIN I got from Alvin, but so far every value looks to be the same between his first and the second (which is supposed to update for new heads and cam shaft).
Your '86 natively uses $32, but can run 32B or 6E. Ask Alvin if he updated you to 6E, etc.

The 8th byte in the bin contains the mask ID. If Alvin didn't disable the checksum, it should contain either 32 or 6E. If he did, it will contain AA, and you'll need to ask him which mask he sent you.

The bin contains the operating system and all of its paramters. Nothing is embedded in the ECM itself.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
ramiles

Post by ramiles »

Mangus - thanks - just the info needed!!