Newbie Looking for advice on tuning

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

twadam

Newbie Looking for advice on tuning

Post by twadam »

hey all, i am VERY new to this and I have some general tuning questions
and also 1 very specific one. Let me start with the specific question:

1) Background, I'm tuning on a 87 TPI with a early 90's vette computer.
Some of the key ingredients are 350 ci., High flow heads (aftermarket plus being ported, 24/.lb injectors, TPIS intake, Corvette hot cam.

I've got Very strange data showing up in spark advance relative to reference pulse field. The data I'm seeing is arond 1700 RPM and high manifold pressure (87 kpa), currently showing a rich condition the spk_adv_rel2refpulse field has 23083 in it. I will mention also that around this same RPM/kpa There has been notable backfires/pops from the intake. Can anyone clue me in on what might be happening ?

I'm also reciving quite a bit of knock count, but am not sure if I should touch the spark tables until the BLM's are all dialed in.

Now on to my general tuning questions.

I've read some of the documents out there and this is my current plan of attack:

1) Start by adjusting the VE tables until BLM's are as close to 128 as possible ( I realize this is a time consuming part. ) I am assuming once this is done the car should run fairly decent.
a) Is it common practice to tune by the BLM or the INT ?
b) Is it common practice to smooth values as you go ?

2) Start to modify some of the PE related table values.

any comments or suggestions are appreciated !
honken

Post by honken »

Here you finde everyting you need to now.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/
Insane1

Post by Insane1 »

You might want to verify things first.

The '87 TPI runs on a MAF. The '90 Corvette runs on a MAP. Are you running a MAF or a MAP sensor?