Crazy User, Insane Swap!

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

IDcavy93

Crazy User, Insane Swap!

Post by IDcavy93 »

Hello all! I'm in Boise, ID aka BFE.

I purchased a 1994 Camaro base for a song ($600).
It has very few redeeming qualities, but it's my first Camaro EVER!
It has a tired 3.4 in it and I had the "brilliant" idea to put a 1999 Olds 3.5L LX5 V6 in it. It's basically a 6 cyl. Shortstar with a GM Metric bellhousing, which is what my manual 5-speed Borg Warner T5 is.

Does anyone think that I could run the LX5 using the stock 1994 Camaro ECM? I heard that the 94 and 95 F-Body ECMs are Flash based.

I do have the harness and ECM from the donor Intrigue as well, but I don't know which is more feasible - calibrating the 94 to run the LX5, or calibrating the 99 ECM to be compatible with the F-Body (VSS, Speedo, Cruise Control, Body Control Module, ETC.)

Thanks for the help! This forum ROCKS!!
IDcavy93

Post by IDcavy93 »

The only thing that seems to me to be a challenge for the 94 ECM is that the LX5 motor has Coil on Plug ignition and the Camaro came with waste spark.
Otherwise both are SFI and both have cam sensors.

Is there a reason nobody has responded? Is this TOO crazy of a swap for anyone to consider worth it? I am going to do it. I have the LX5 halfway apart now and will continue rebuilding it...I'm gonna make this happen! LOL
Bilberto

Post by Bilberto »

How goes the swap? I am a camaro fan, I've owned 15 in my life time. This sounds like a great project.
73, KD0SYF