run TP in background and write ALDL stream into a file?

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

LittleNo

run TP in background and write ALDL stream into a file?

Post by LittleNo »

the story about this idea: i have a complete PC installed in my car (91 Caprice), beside using it for mp3s, videos and navigation, i wrote a little prog to read the ALDL stream of the car (at that time it was only the ALDL 160 of the stock TBI), to display some data on a little dash LCD.

the PC 7" VGA Display:

the dash LCD:

since i made the conversion to TPI, i have no longer the ALDL 160 stream, so i was wondering how i could use the 8192 stream in an easy way - so i had this idea:

if TunerPro simply could write the data which it shows, into a file (i mean not a datalog of the stream, but the finished data like they are shown), and there would be a possibility to run TunerPro in background and let it start and connect automatically (i thought about windows autostart), i could use a very simple self-made program to control the dash LCD.

The big advantage would be, that with this solution, it could be used with any available .ads stream files from TunerPro, so it were usable by many other applications too.

I know, it sounds like too much work for too less profit, but seen from the programming efforts, i don't think it would be too much work.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Interesting idea. It wouldn't be difficult per se, but it would greatly slow things down (writing data to a file at that frequency would be hard on old machines).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
LittleNo

Post by LittleNo »

yep, i see, so it must be a "option", that is only active if needed and the PC is fast enough to handle it
LittleNo

Post by LittleNo »

hmmm, may be a TCP/IP network connection over localhost?

a buddy of mine is using this for all his self-made programms to communicate to each other, he says it's no big deal to handle this, so may be it's a easy and simple way for us to use it for our matter here?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

That's a possibility as well, although writing to a file would be easier on my side. :)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
LittleNo

Post by LittleNo »

hmmm, i see

i think the first step is to make tunerpro able to run completely independent from user inputs - if that is done, it can be used as a on screen dash just by putting it in the autostart folder

the software interface to other programs will be another matter