coles notes or EEC for Dummies

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

TurboCamaro

coles notes or EEC for Dummies

Post by TurboCamaro »

Is there a paper or thread on how to get started with Ford tuning (or maybe binary tuning). I do a lot of stand alone and OBDII however haven't played with OBDI much. I have an A9L engine in a 40 Ford to do. I have Moates hardware as well as TunerPro RT and EEC Editor. I downloaded the A9L bin and GUFB definition off the TunerPro site. When I look at the Bin in TunerPro it doesn't make much sense. For example the spark values are all 31.75. Viewing them in EEC Editor they make a bit more sense at least the values change throughout the table and trend in the correct direction. I suspect this has something to do with the thread "Note for users of different Editors". Is there a bible for dummies to learn this gig. For example in the previous post it talks about padding the first 8k of the bin, what does this mean. Thanks for your patience.
XantheFIN

Re: coles notes or EEC for Dummies

Post by XantheFIN »

TurboCamaro wrote:Is there a paper or thread on how to get started with Ford tuning (or maybe binary tuning). I do a lot of stand alone and OBDII however haven't played with OBDI much. I have an A9L engine in a 40 Ford to do. I have Moates hardware as well as TunerPro RT and EEC Editor. I downloaded the A9L bin and GUFB definition off the TunerPro site. When I look at the Bin in TunerPro it doesn't make much sense. For example the spark values are all 31.75. Viewing them in EEC Editor they make a bit more sense at least the values change throughout the table and trend in the correct direction. I suspect this has something to do with the thread "Note for users of different Editors". Is there a bible for dummies to learn this gig. For example in the previous post it talks about padding the first 8k of the bin, what does this mean. Thanks for your patience.
Yes. Because EEC starts reading content from address 2000 on external chip (?) First 8k should be padded null data (FF) via Hex editor.

Other way you can on TunerPRO choose do you have 56K *.bin or 64K *.bin by going to XDF -> View / Edit XDF Header Info -> Open New Window and put next values depending which one you have.

*Size 10000 / Base Offset 0000 [ ] Subtract* - 64K bin
*Size E000 / Base Offset 2000 [x] Subtract* - 56K bin
TurboCamaro

Post by TurboCamaro »

I know this is probably a very elementary question for the more experienced users however how do you know what is 8k worth of padding.

Is there a book or other material out there to learn all this?
XantheFIN

Post by XantheFIN »

TurboCamaro wrote:I know this is probably a very elementary question for the more experienced users however how do you know what is 8k worth of padding.

Is there a book or other material out there to learn all this?
eectech98.pdf

This is good up to disassembly. I am not best to tell how to but this is my try as now and very shortly.

When you dumb a9l EEC-IV to *.bin it's FULL size is 64K. If you downloaded from some site i think it is 56K bin...

Now first 8K of 64K bin (Up to address 2000 in hex editor- First real code starts there "FF FA" Leave that as first row of code) is useless to you.

So you replace (64K Bin) or put at the start (56K Bin) that piece of code with null data and you then have 64K bin which you can open in TunerPRO when you have XDF which has next values in XDF header options.

Bin Size 10000
Base Offset 0000
[ ] Subtract (Means - Leave this empty)

When burning to chip it needs to have that first 8K of data code before real code OR EEC fails to read your ROM because it's addressing has offset of 2000.

Sorry if not clear. Read that eectech98.pdf. :wink: Go to efidynotuning -site and it's forum or go to eectuning.org forums for more info.
TurboCamaro

Post by TurboCamaro »

Thank you! :-)
It would appear I have some reading to do now!
I really appreciate.