What could be causing this?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Wingnutt

What could be causing this?

Post by Wingnutt »

I'm stuck here. I'm having two problems that are driving me crazy trying to figure out. I started over with a stock bin, then lowered the BPW and IAC counts to achieve a stable 700 rpm idle with reasonable BLM counts. Now here is the irritating part. Something is causing the IAC counts (and idle) to remain high after I put the truck into drive and then back into park; or after I have driven it.....but not every time! I have commanded a max O/L idle speed of 800 rpms and an IAC count of 20 at idle for the temp that is runs at. The engine will idle at 1100 rpms with an IAC count ot 45 or so.

The other problem is a very loud popping in the exhaust (almost like a backfire) after I goose it or accelerate hard then let off.

Anybody want to take a stab at these? I’m thinking that the two problems might be related, but I haven’t figured out how....yet!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

This would be a good post for Thirdgen (I'm sure you've already posted there). The popping is likely exactly that, and is probably due to leaning out (too much decel enleanment, maybe).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am