FNG needs a lot of help getting started with Tunerpro RT

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

nvsteve

FNG needs a lot of help getting started with Tunerpro RT

Post by nvsteve »

Hi,

My car is a 95 Buick Riviera supercharged V6. I'm told that the car uses OBDI software but with a OBDII cable.

After researching this on a Riviera Performance forum I bought an ALDL OBDII cable with a usb port to connect to my laptop running Windows 7.

I can't seem to get the Tunerpro RT software to run. Here is what I've done so far.

Downloaded the drivers for the cable from the CD that was provided.
Downloaded Tunerpro RT and the following definition file for my car 5b_TPV5.xdf.

Verified the com port being used, and did the cable test on Tunerpro which was successful.

It looks like I have Tunerpro connected, but when I plug in to the car and turn the key, it says hardware not found and not ready. How do I get Tunerpro Rt to start reading codes and sending engine data?

I admit to being an idiot on this stuff, I don't know what bins are and don't understand a lot of the terminology I'm seeing.

I have a service engine light that I want to read. Really appreciate help getting started.

Thanks
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

what you'll need for datalogging and communicating with the PCM is the proper ADX file.

i believe i have a functional one for that application, but i'll need an email address to send it to.
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

Robert,

I have the adx file for my car from the website.

I don't know what to do with these files.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

launch tunerpro

click Acquisition->Load definition file and then select the ADX for your car.

if you have the correct COM port selected, either press Ctrl + F4 or click Acquisition-> start/stop data scan.

the bar in the bottom that is/was yellow should now turn pink for a short amount of time while trying to connect, then blue when it does connect.
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

I don't see anything like that on the tunerpro screen
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

First let me say I REALLY appreciate you trying to help me on this.

My screen just shows compare and tools, no acquisition button.

I think my problem may have to do with the .adx and .xdf files I downloaded from the website. When I try to open the xdf file I get a message that its an invalid file. I downloaded $5b files from the list on the website. The way I downloaded the files was to right click on the file name and then click on save link as...

In tunerpro I went to file open bin and then selected the .adx file that I downloaded. That seemed to work ok because I see that file name up at the top of the screen then next to it says no XDF selected. Then I click on XDF button and click on open XDF and then select the file I downloaded. That is when I see the invalid file message. I am thinking that I need to have an XDF loaded before I can see the acquisition button.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if you don't see an acquisition button, i'd have to guess you're running V4 not V5.

that would explain why it won't load the XDF either.

by the way, the XDF and BIN are not required for datalogging, only for changing the calibration.
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

Aha!

You are correct sir, I did not have V5 so I downloaded it and now I see the acquisition button so I selected my adx file as you instructed me to do.

Now I will go plug in to the car and see what happens!

Will report results.

Thanks so much again for all the help!

Steve
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

just make sure you have the correct COM port selected, otherwise you'll run around in circles trying to figure out why it's not working. the correct COM port should only show up when the cable is plugged in.
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

in V5 I don't see anything in preferences that indicates which com port is being used. Where do I find out what com port is selected?

Thanks
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

Tools->Preferences

Data Acq./Emulation tab, click "Configure Plug-In Component" button and you'll see the COM port selection.
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

got it!
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

when connected to car with key on, it has been connecting (pink) for a long time, at least five minutes.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

odd. care to point me to where you found the ADX you're using?
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

from here.....

http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm

I am using $5b
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

no luck, it just hangs there on DA connecting
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

hmm.... that would imply that the PCM isn't responding to the computer/cable/tunerpro.

if you disconnect the cable from the car, does it pass the tunerpro cable test?
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

yes it does.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

there was a problem with a similar PCM recently, it had to have it's fuses pulled for a few minutes to clear it's memory, then when the fuses were replaced it started communicating again. you may have the same issue. obviosuly it will clear any stored codes, but it might be what fixes it.
nvsteve

Post by nvsteve »

OK, I will try that, but I'm out of time that I can devote to this for today.

I'll try pulling the fuses either later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again!