possibility of a KA24DE definition?

Discuss Nissan tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Barrel Hunter

possibility of a KA24DE definition?

Post by Barrel Hunter »

I am looking into this software as the tuning solution for my new build and am wondering if there is any possibility of having a definition developed for the 90-94 s13 and the 95+ s14 240sx. they both use the KA24DE engine and use the same ECU I beieve.

thanks
-John-
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

If you can point me to information on the mapping of the ECU, I could potentially begin the creation of such a definition.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Calum

Post by Calum »

The S13 and S14 need different xdfs (the ecus are quite different).

My current B13/S13(KA) xdf is here (I update it regularly too):

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/Produc ... /B13RT.xdf

...and short write-up on how to use TunerProRT with a S13 Realtime ECU here (sorry to link to a different forum):

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=192443

I'm working on a short walk-through of the B13/S13(KA) xdf (might have that done sometime next week). I haven't done an xdf for the S14(KA) yet, but I'll do so in the not too distant future. Its similar to the B14, but not quite the same (I haven't put the B14 xdf online yet either).
calum -at- calumsult -dot- com
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Calum wrote:The S13 and S14 need different xdfs (the ecus are quite different).

My current B13/S13(KA) xdf is here (I update it regularly too):

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/Produc ... /B13RT.xdf).
Would it be possible to work out a way to put a copy on the TunerPro definitions page? It would get some visibility there, too. The difficulty, of course, is keeping them in sync (you could always email me an updated XDF as you make changes).

By the way, thanks for that great forum post on sr20forum. Let me know if you need anything.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Calum

Post by Calum »

No problem. I'll just e-mail you updates. I tweak the xdf on a pretty regular basis, but I'll only update the online file once a month.

Nissan Consult support for map tracing would be my wishful thinking request. :P

Nissan left a neat command in the Consult protocol that lets you 'watch' memory locations (ROM or RAM, it streams the contents), so you can set it to watch load and rpm and trace exactly where the ecu is operating. Right now I use a second piece of software (Nissan DataScan) to do this, but having that rolled in the editor would be sweet.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Calum wrote: Nissan Consult support for map tracing would be my wishful thinking request. :P
ScannerPro SHOULD be able to interface with it, but you'll have to create a definition, which in the case of the Consult interface would be complex. You seem technically savvy, though, and I'd love to see it working.

www.scannerpro.net

The features of SCannerPro will eventually be included in TunerPRo.
Last edited by Mangus on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Calum

Post by Calum »

I think you meant .net not .com :P

I'll check it out. The nissan consult protocol is a bit weird. I wrote my own consult software early on, then switched to using other peoples tools so I could concentrate on the hardware.

Yea, I've been around the block before. :)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Calum i've seen you around before on other nissan sites. If between you two, if yall can get tuner pro to datalog and map trace on a nissan i'd be forever in your debt. I have nowhere near the skill of i'd offer to help. if you could explain an easy process in creating such definitions i'd like to try. Please point me in the right direction. It seems like other nissan guys are turning to tuner pro and i along with the rest of us would like to see it thrive.
Calum

Post by Calum »

Hi Tony,

The best place to find me is in my little corner of the sr20forum (on the main page scroll all the way down to the bottom), but I lurk around. :)

Playing with scanner pro is on my to-do list. Having map tracing integrated with TunerProRT would be very slick.

What ecu are you working with?

For really messing with the technical side of this stuff the first thing you've gotta do is build a bench rig. Trying to do this in a car is just about impossible. For the B13/S13 ecus this can be as simple as a power supply (any 10-16V and at least 1A will work, even a cheapie wall wart, but and adjustable is sweet) and an extra harness. For the B14/S14 you will need to add a switch for the ignition, or just jumper the wires together to get the ecu to boot. If you've got the time, skills, and money setting up a complete rig that can simulate a running engine is best, and I can give pointers on how to do that for a Nissan. You also need to wire in a consult adapter. Even if you've got an ecu with a daughterboard that has the consult stuff built in (like one of my Realtime boards), its still handy to have the consult adapter to dump stock bins.

Btw, if any of you guys are in the area I'll be at Dyno4mance (Calhoun GA, north of Atlanta) this weekend -Sat Mar 31st- and Ellis AutoWorkz (Tampa FL) next weekend -Sat Apr 7th-. Drop by if your in the neighborhood and you can check out the Realtime ECUs (I should have both B13/S13 and B14/S14 on hand for both days). And of course I'll be in Chicago the first weekend in June for the SE-R National Convention. :)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hey Calum, Thanks for the quick response. I have both a 8 bit and 16bit for the Z32. I currently use the 8 bit since there is more info on tuning them. Dont let me give you the wrong idea, i am a complete newb in this dept, so if my ignorance is too much for your patience please forgive me. I just came across this software and liked it more than the others i've found, but just wished the couple issues i have stated earlier were more compatible with my application, and know from your rep around the nissan world youd be a good canidate to tie it all together. I would be interested in learning how to make all this happen if you had the time(i know hardly anyone has much of that), but if you do and want to reach me privately my e-mail is zcartony@aol.com btw, i live in GA but my wife has to work all weekend so i won't be able to meet ya this time, anyhow thanks for the response, lookin forward to hearing from ya, hopefully in the near future tunerpro will be fully functional for us nissan guys and girls(my wife caught z fever finally).

Tony
Calum

Post by Calum »

What part of GA are you in? If your ever in need of a shop, Dyno4mance is excellent. Its always very clean and super professional. Andrew (the owner) is top notch at tuning just about anything and a super nice guy too.

http://www.dyno4mance.com/
jerryb

Post by jerryb »

Hi all...newbi alert!

Im new to this and a S13 owner. .....As you may know the early S13 is not OBD compatible but will run just fine on the B13 ECU without modification (other than OBD connection). The b13 is OBD-1.

So Im considering this software to run my B13 powered S13.

Im a bit confused as the application notes state 1996-1997 BUT the S13/B13 is 89 to 94. Could someone please help clear this up....

Oh ya... are there ads files for this engine?

Thanx!! :D
Last edited by jerryb on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.