Locked SCT Calibrations

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

15PSI

Locked SCT Calibrations

Post by 15PSI »

Hello,

I am new to this forum but an active member on HPTuners and SVTPerformance forums. I calibrate Mustangs with both SCT and HPTuners VCM Suite. As many of you know, most high-end, reputable tuners code a software lock in their custom calibrations to protect their intellectual property. This I understand and appreciate why they do so. But there are situations when one must read an unknown tune from an ECU.

However, when one of these tunes need some work or someone has purchased a car with a custom calibration but does not know the history of the tune nor the tuner and needs additional mods, it is much easier to read the ECU with HPTuners scanner. Given that some of these are locked and cannot be accessed by anyone other than the original tuner, is there a way that anyone on this forum has discovered to access the memory area that holds the locking algorithm or locking code?

I am a computer scientist and have coded in C and assembly most of my adult years, so I know my way around bits and bytes.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions as to where to start? or am I forging a new path that no one else has yet traveled?

Thank you!
Mustang

Re: Locked SCT Calibrations

Post by Mustang »

15PSI wrote:Hello,

I am new to this forum but an active member on HPTuners and SVTPerformance forums. I calibrate Mustangs with both SCT and HPTuners VCM Suite. As many of you know, most high-end, reputable tuners code a software lock in their custom calibrations to protect their intellectual property. This I understand and appreciate why they do so. But there are situations when one must read an unknown tune from an ECU.

However, when one of these tunes need some work or someone has purchased a car with a custom calibration but does not know the history of the tune nor the tuner and needs additional mods, it is much easier to read the ECU with HPTuners scanner. Given that some of these are locked and cannot be accessed by anyone other than the original tuner, is there a way that anyone on this forum has discovered to access the memory area that holds the locking algorithm or locking code?

I am a computer scientist and have coded in C and assembly most of my adult years, so I know my way around bits and bytes.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions as to where to start? or am I forging a new path that no one else has yet traveled?

Thank you!
Hi 15PSI
did you found a solution for this SCT renamed strategy issue? sometimes i'm in the same situation.
Thanks