First timer, no start

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

pressureangle

First timer, no start

Post by pressureangle »

1994 Chevy k2500 5.7 4l80e

ECU service number 16196395

Just installed a mild-ish 400, runs 'ok' around town on both the stock and 'stage 1' Harris chip.

Brian sent me a .bin file to start with, but I can't get anything to actually start when my burned chip is in the truck; using Moates/TunerProRT. I've tried all the different .xdf and .adx files I can find that *appear* to apply to this vehicle, but nothing goes. When first installing the burned chip in the Moates adapter, it will fire momentarily as if it's using the fuel left from the stock chip, or perhaps a key squirt but no amount of coaxing will get another bang. It fires immediately upon installing either of the 2 factory-style box chips.

Anybody want to take a swing at the probably super simple basic I'm missing? Or point me to what files you think should work in this box?

It's the weekend, so...yeah.
pressureangle

Re: First timer, no start

Post by pressureangle »

So,

Of course this problem answered itself.

I made sure the .XDF and .ADX were both OE (stock)

I loaded the .BIN into the buffer of the Moates device before programming the chip, then verified chip against buffer

Success.

I suppose this is a consequence of not watching 8 or so hours of YouTube instructional videos. :)
pressureangle

Post by pressureangle »

...aaaand today I'm familiarizing myself with emulating/tuning.

TunerPro RT/Moates autoprom. Successful emulation and data display.

I changed a couple cells in timing and fuel tables successfully, then after a few minutes it died, dead.

Restarted with factory chip, but zero timing advance. 16196395 ECU.

Is it fried?
pressureangle

Post by pressureangle »

Good lord I'm a whiner.

Timing wire fault at ECU plug. A little Craig De-Oxit and back to good. :/