I can't get my laptop to connect with the ECM

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Ribstone Hill

I can't get my laptop to connect with the ECM

Post by Ribstone Hill »

I am trying to get a data log to look at but I haven't been able to establish a comm between my new laptop and the ecm. I contacted OBD Diagnostics (where I purchased the cable) and they recommended the latest driver and also recommended TunerPro because they believe it works better on Windows 10. (I had DataMaster) My com port is recognizing the cable as connected and the FTDI driver but it still doesn't communicate.

The TunerPro app says "hardware not found"
Priobe

Re: I can't get my laptop to connect with the ECM

Post by Priobe »

Ribstone
Did you ever get connected to your ECM. I’m running into the same problem.
Ribstone Hill

Post by Ribstone Hill »

Priobe,

No I didn’t. After spending about 20 hours researching forums and many sending help requests I gave up for now. Brian at TBI Chips told me “Windows 10 can be finicky”. I’ll try again someday when I have more patience. Lol

Have you had any luck yet?
Pete30nz

Post by Pete30nz »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with a House lden VR v6.
I'm going to try windows XP or windows 7.
They say windows XP isn't supported any more though.

Has any one had any luck?

Pete
grimmechanic

Post by grimmechanic »

Well, if you haven't figured this out by now, I will share a new problem that's cropped up with Windows 10 recently. Apparently this was brought about by a security patch for Windows 10.

I have a HP Tuner with the User Defined Parameter option upgrade, and a RaceMe/Warp Tuning setup for my Dodge diesel.

My HP Tuner stopped communicating with my computer, and my Warp Tuning software for the RaceMe tuner would only open in the "demo mode" even with the dongle plugged in. In both cases, it was OE installed Windows 10 anti-virus that was causing the issue (Windows Defender). Windows Defender is embedded in the Windows 10 OS and you cant remove it, at least not easily. You can however, shut it off.

Funny thing is, there's no warning or indication in the Windows Defender that there's a conflict or problem. Thanks Microsoft, you suck.

So now, every time I want to use my HP Tuner, or Warp Tuning software, I have to disable the anti-virus service.