Best reader/programmer for EPROM chip tuning?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Gallo24

Best reader/programmer for EPROM chip tuning?

Post by Gallo24 »

Hello all,

I am getting in to tuning and need an emulator/reader/programmer to erase and write my new maps for a 28-pin EPROM chip for Motronic 1.3.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good one to buy and where from? I am in the UK if that helps.

dex
The Ford Guy

Re: Best reader/programmer for EPROM chip tuning?

Post by dex »

Which EPROM are you using? Different programmers and emulators work with different chips.
Tinkerer007

Post by Tinkerer007 »

I think we are looking for a programmer for:
27C256 type, a 28-pin DIL (Dual In-line) chip. It contains 256K-bits of CMOS memory

At least that's what I need for my '87 BMW 325 (E30).
Gallo24

Post by Gallo24 »

dex wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:37 pm Which EPROM are you using? Different programmers and emulators work with different chips.
Yes, exactly as Tinkerer007 said above.

Also thanks for responding, I would have put that information in the original post if I knew it was crucial info.
Gallo24

Post by Gallo24 »

Tinkerer007 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:57 am I think we are looking for a programmer for:
27C256 type, a 28-pin DIL (Dual In-line) chip. It contains 256K-bits of CMOS memory

At least that's what I need for my '87 BMW 325 (E30).
Mine's a 1990 320 and I actually have a 'mild' chip from the e30zone that I bought so also want to be able to read that chip and my factory one to compare and use as a base for my own map.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

If you are using a 27C256 then you will need a UV eraser too. The datasheet for the chip you are using will give the erase specification you will need to select a suitable eraser.

Several different Willem programmers will work, there are also the inevitable Chinese knock offs that are cheaper.

A Moates Ostrich 2 will allow 27C256 emulation amongst a lot of other chips.
Gallo24

Post by Gallo24 »

dex wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm If you are using a 27C256 then you will need a UV eraser too. The datasheet for the chip you are using will give the erase specification you will need to select a suitable eraser.

Several different Willem programmers will work, there are also the inevitable Chinese knock offs that are cheaper.

A Moates Ostrich 2 will allow 27C256 emulation amongst a lot of other chips.
Thank you this is invaluable information!

This might be a stupid question but what is emulation? Is that live data-logging?

Reading, writing and erasing should be enough for me for now.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Emulation is when you use a device to emulate a ROM and allow real time changes to the calibration. It saves having to burn or reflash a chip every time you want to make a change to the calibration and try it out.

Personally I would replace the EPROM with an EEPROM to simplify matters by avoiding having to use a UV eraser.
Gallo24

Post by Gallo24 »

dex wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:16 am Emulation is when you use a device to emulate a ROM and allow real time changes to the calibration. It saves having to burn or reflash a chip every time you want to make a change to the calibration and try it out.

Personally I would replace the EPROM with an EEPROM to simplify matters by avoiding having to use a UV eraser.
Will changing from EPROM to EEPROM affect the ECU's ability to read the chip at all?

Thank you
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

The ECU cannot tell the difference between an EPROM and an EEPROM as it is only the method of programming that differs when it comes to using the chip.
Gallo24

Post by Gallo24 »

dex wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:13 am The ECU cannot tell the difference between an EPROM and an EEPROM as it is only the method of programming that differs when it comes to using the chip.
Awesome thank you!! And a Moates Ostrich 2 can programme and read 27C256 yeah? If so I'm all ready to go ahead buy the programmer, chips and blow up my first engine ;)

Your help has been invaluable btw Dex!!!
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

The Moates Ostrich 2.0 is an 8 bit emulator (it can emulate 27C256 EPROMs) and it cannot read or program chips.
Gallo24

Post by Gallo24 »

dex wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 am The Moates Ostrich 2.0 is an 8 bit emulator (it can emulate 27C256 EPROMs) and it cannot read or program chips.
Hello again,

I have since bought a cheap programmer and successfully programmed a blank chip, unfortunately it isn't electronically erasable but that's besides the point.

This screenshot is from the programmer's software, what does it mean by the 'installation directory'? I'm trying to read the factory chip from the car and it won't do it.
Config Error.jpg
Config Error.jpg (229.69 KiB) Viewed 10652 times
I know this isn't a Tunerpro issue but I appreciate any help thank you!! :)