VW/Audi Support??

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

storx

VW/Audi Support??

Post by storx »

I was wandering if anyone has any knowledge of this tuner platform on VW/Audi cars.. I am interested learning this system to tune a project im currently assembling right now.. I would be testing the tune on my beater car just to learn since it uses the same engine and ecu.. just different turbo hardware.. im not afraid of messing things up.. just want to learn if this is a possible tuner for me.. I dont want to use the overpriced Large Turbo Tunes that big companys use cause they seem to be worthless when you want to make anything decent of power... only time i see a good engine build make numbers is on a standalone or self tuned.. so far..
storx

Post by storx »

setup that would be getting the actual tune...

Audi TT 225
AWP head
ALH diesel block
2.2L setup
HE351ve turbo
custom intake manifold
75mm Dodge Hemi Throttlebody
b.shaw

Post by b.shaw »

Nobody with VW/Audi experience here? I am very interested in this platform also.
BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall »

Unfortunately, the stock Motronic 7 or 9 is VERY complex. To create an XDF for either would be a huge undertaking, as there are 500+ maps/functions/scalars in each, IIRC. Every map works off another, so it's very difficult to figure out which ones would be needed to do a proper tune, if you only converted a portion of them to TunerPro.
b.shaw

Post by b.shaw »

Only about 30 of those tables are needed to tune this ecu. There is an xdf for the Audi S4 with ME7.1 that some guys on AudiWorld have developed. I've downloaded it and am going to try once I get the cable I ordered a couple of days ago.
BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall »

I've seen that one, and while it has 30 maps that 'supposedly' allow you to tune the ecu...is it tuned properly? ;)

Every tuner has their own philosophy about tuning ME7x, and to be brutally honest, 30 maps out of 500+ is a terrible ratio for tuning. Understanding how ME7 works (which I don't propose to know in completion) is the first part of the puzzle. That xdf is also only addressed for the S4 2.7 cars, the 1.8T ecus use different locations, so unless you've got a 2.7, you might be up the creek ;).

If you're interested in learning more, check out ecuconnections.com, and the NefMoto forums. Lots of good info there.
NefMoto

Post by NefMoto »

In the ME7 you only need to tune about 30 maps and constants at most.
For VAG ME7 reverse engineering, tuning, and free flashing software, check out www.nefmoto.com
BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall »

I've learned the error of my ways since that post, lol. I think I read and re-read all the posts on NefMoto a million times, super helpful :D.

My attitudes were born of intimidation of ME7, it's not as scary as I thought, now that I've learned a bit more.

Could that XDF (and tuning wiki) be applied to the 4cyl stuff, at least in name? I realize the addresses would be completely different, but some of the abbreviatons/labels would translate over, no?
NefMoto

Post by NefMoto »

All of the names are the same across all VAG ME7 ECUs.
For VAG ME7 reverse engineering, tuning, and free flashing software, check out www.nefmoto.com