Watching RPM live

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

ecuconnection

Watching RPM live

Post by ecuconnection »

Is it possible to watch my bosch motronic RPM live via ostrich 2 and a proper definition file for data?
www.ecuconnections.com DIY tuning forum
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

Your question makes no sense
BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall »

He wants to have tunerpro open and be able to see the RPMs on the screen/dashboard while emulating through the Ostrich2.
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

correct
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

BrendanSmall wrote:He wants to have tunerpro open and be able to see the RPMs on the screen/dashboard while emulating through the Ostrich2.
How? When Motronic 1.3 does not support any live data stream? The only diagnostic feature that it does is flashes fault codes, thats it. Person who tunes these ecus should know that, this is 1986 technology.

Mr. Ecuconnection, I can't believe you are sking questions like this, I got a feeling you are 10 years old.
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

Motronic 1.3? umm no motronic 1.7.2 infact and yes you can stream live data via a ADX file but thanks for coming out :)
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

revlimit wrote:
BrendanSmall wrote:He wants to have tunerpro open and be able to see the RPMs on the screen/dashboard while emulating through the Ostrich2.
How? When Motronic 1.3 does not support any live data stream? The only diagnostic feature that it does is flashes fault codes, thats it. Person who tunes these ecus should know that, this is 1986 technology.

Mr. Ecuconnection, I can't believe you are sking questions like this, I got a feeling you are 10 years old.
I find this funny coming from a guy that posts a OBD2 BMW xdf and doesnt warn people they need checksum correction or the ecu will lock up BAH!
BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall »

revlimit wrote:

That's kinda harsh :(.

If the Ostrich works on it, then an ADX file can be created to view the parameters, no?
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

ya sure can . The big problem is trying to find where code is that uses ram of the intel chip. IDA pro is how one would begin this intence journey
starrd

Post by starrd »

So I have a dumb question. Why not use a Wideband that sends out a datastream and hook RPM to that and connect it to TunerProRT while emulating? Then you can also send boost pressure and O2 at the same time.
This is one of my methods - I use the TechEdge wideband unit and I will have an updated ADX for a TechEdge wideband using the version 2 frame format on this site as soon as Mark posts it. I will probably also do a post on how you can use an emulator to play with this to see how it works.
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

You could do that also but then you need more hardware. Ostrich2 can do it all accept for wideband
starrd

Post by starrd »

ecuconnection wrote:You could do that also but then you need more hardware. Ostrich2 can do it all accept for wideband
Tuning without a Wideband makes no sense at all - period!
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

I understand this and that why you would use the imput from a LC1 . Plus I would rather see my rpm, tps, coolant temp, live anyday of the week... to be able to see this live on a OBD1 bmw would be worth it alone :)
starrd

Post by starrd »

So have you tried making an ADX for an LC1? - kinda doesn't work the way they send out the data.

I know, however, I could input tps, coolant temperature, RPM, Map (up to 6 inputs plus RPM) with my TechEdge unit and use it to data trace in TunerProRT, while hit tracing with an Ostrich2 at the same time.
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

1. It wouldnt be hard to implement a LC1 or any other wideband signal into tunerpro from a com port.

2. Why would I get a tech edge when the ostrich2 can do the same thing without having to hack up a wire harness

:roll:
starrd

Post by starrd »

ecuconnection wrote:1. It wouldnt be hard to implement a LC1 or any other wideband signal into tunerpro from a com port. :roll:
Hmm, when I last looked, TunerPro wasn't able to parse out bits from a byte in the "Listen for Chatter" section, so how are you going to get it to read the data steam? The header for the datasteam is in bit form and TunerPro doesn't support doing that. Your statements suggest that you have figured out how to do it though, so have fun.
Last edited by starrd on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

starrd wrote:
ecuconnection wrote:1. It wouldnt be hard to implement a LC1 or any other wideband signal into tunerpro from a com port. :roll:
Hmm, when I last looked, TunerPro wasn't able to parse out bits from a byte, so how are you going to get it to read the data steam? The header for the datasteam is in bit form and TunerPro doesn't support doing that. Your statements suggest that you have figured out how to do it though, so have fun.
My team is working various idea's and solutions.
BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall »

starrd wrote:
So I have a dumb question. Why not use a Wideband that sends out a datastream and hook RPM to that and connect it to TunerProRT while emulating? Then you can also send boost pressure and O2 at the same time.
This is one of my methods - I use the TechEdge wideband unit and I will have an updated ADX for a TechEdge wideband using the version 2 frame format on this site as soon as Mark posts it. I will probably also do a post on how you can use an emulator to play with this to see how it works.
I took a look at the techedge wideband ADX on the downloads page, very cool stuff. Wish I could implement it, but my wideband is an NGK :(.
starrd

Post by starrd »

I bought and built the kit - cost me $128 AUD - not too much money and it works great! New adx for the TechEdge ver2 frame format will be posted soon - the other had some mistakes that I corrected. Plus I added some more stuff.
Tomba

Post by Tomba »

revlimit wrote:

Hello people,

It is actually possible to view live data with a Bosch KTS 300 with Motronic 1.3. We use this equipment in our garage. I hoped it would be possible too with ostrich/tunerpro.

You can view:
- load signal [ms] (injector opening/activation time) 2.00-2.50 @ idle
- rpm signal [rpm]
- air temp [celsius degree]
- coolant temp [celsius degree]
- idle swith (open or closed)
- full load swith (open or closed)
- lambda regulation {active or not active)
- lambda sonde voltage [V]
- Lambda integrator [%] should be around 50%, higher is to lean visa versa
- customer code / client code
- version code

You can only view one item at once.

Of course it is possible to view error codes with there frequency error and load and rpm (sometimes temp) when they were stored.

Then its also possible to activate the
- 2 injector groups seperatly (activated shortly so no fuel will be injected)
- idle controller (moves open and close)
- tank ventilation valve
- lambda heater relais

This kind information is send and received with pin 15 and 20 in the diagnostic socket. I have no idea if its possible to view this in tuner pro as well. If you guys need more information on how to, i have a scope so i can record and view the communication on txd and rxd lines if you want.

Ciao,
Tomba
FastButBlind

Post by FastButBlind »

if you want to use data from the KTS multiplexer, it should be connected anyway, the socket alone wont help, i tried it with my KTS 500, to take data while the car on dyno, and wasn't that effective, i had to interrupt the ESI[tronic] software to be able to extract data to excel sheet or other software while its running, but as i said, not that good result after all, i just couldn't interrupt the USB signals, maybe someone else can!! :?

anyway, if any help needed i got KTS 500 with Q4 2009 ESI[tronic], and am ready to support :)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Tomba wrote: This kind information is send and received with pin 15 and 20 in the diagnostic socket. I have no idea if its possible to view this in tuner pro as well. If you guys need more information on how to, i have a scope so i can record and view the communication on txd and rxd lines if you want.

Ciao,
Tomba
Perhaps you could reduce it to the information that we would need to gather data from the stream?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am