Streaming data from external programs into TunerPro

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Calum

Streaming data from external programs into TunerPro

Post by Calum »

Innovate's LogWorks2/3 has a really neat feature where you can stream data from external programs directly into LogWorks2/3 by means of an ActiveX control. There is a thread about how this works here-

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/foru ... php?t=5547

...and its really dead easy to use. It didn't take me very long to hack my old Nissan diagnostic software to stream data into LogWorks2/3.

I think a similar feature for piping data into TunerProRT would be really really cool. What I would really like is to be able to take existing diagnostic software, modify it slightly like I do when streaming data to LogWorks2/3, then have this data available in TunerPro for use as indexes for map tracing.

Is that doable?
calum -at- calumsult -dot- com
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I asked Mark about this a while ago, on a very similar premise actually. And he said that there is not a way to do it.

For me, I'm simply looking at adding the input from my Innovative WBO2 (LC-1) into the Tuner Pro RT dash and datalog.

I don't want to get into adding a bunch of sensors and more Innovate products just to get half the info I want through Log Works.

I also don't want to have to patch EVERY bin file and XDF just to add the WBO2 info, especially since the patches are not available for every BIN file XDF and ECM.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

In the future I may add support for common WBO2 controllers.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Mangus wrote:In the future I may add support for common WBO2 controllers.
Dude, don't tease me.

*crosses fingers* *holds breath* *rubs magic troll doll*
JP86SS

AP

Post by JP86SS »

If you have an AutoProm with the Aux channel inputs you could log 3 external devices into your current logs.
they are 10 bit resolution and are faster inputs too.
Quaki

Post by Quaki »

JP86SS is right you can do it but only in the aldl data (older cars will not log aldl )
Magnus if it would be possible to add recording of this three inputs in text file (log it and save it or log it in the fly into desired file on the HDD of laptop ) it would be possible to simply log 3 data stream and put them into the excel (to create the graphs ) you coud watch the WB/RPM or WB/TPS (or any other data witch signal are 0-5V)
It is wery easy to connect the WB to this input and i think i can design the interface to connect the readings of rpm to the other (then WB) 0-5v input
Best regards
desmo01

Post by desmo01 »

If you can, please add support for the wbo2.com 2A1. They define the RS232 stream as well.

This would allow 1 rpm channel, 6 analog voltage channels, and 1 wide band channel on 1 RS232 stream.

Yay!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

desmo01 wrote:If you can, please add support for the wbo2.com 2A1. They define the RS232 stream as well.

This would allow 1 rpm channel, 6 analog voltage channels, and 1 wide band channel on 1 RS232 stream.

Yay!
Try using ScannerPro for that. If it works, then TunerPro v5 will support it as well.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
starrd

Post by starrd »

Mangus wrote:
desmo01 wrote:If you can, please add support for the wbo2.com 2A1. They define the RS232 stream as well.

Yay!
Try using ScannerPro for that. If it works, then TunerPro v5 will support it as well.
When TunerPro v5 comes out, support for the wbo2.com 2A1 will be there and any v2.0 format unit
starrd

Post by starrd »

Look here:

http://forum.tunerpro.net/viewtopic.php?p=6003#6003

There is a link there the ADX for the TechEdge Unit - Version 2 frame format
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Also note that, over the next few releases of V5, I'll be moving everything hardware and comms related over to a plugin model. This will allow people like you (Calum) and other hardware/software developers to write their own interfaces to make their hardware work with TunerPro. This also opens up the ability for TunerPro to communicate with the diag stream of a more varied set of vehicles.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

I like the sounds of that!

Will there be access to the GUI elements/graphics also?

Thanks,
Dave
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

dfddfd2 wrote:I like the sounds of that!

Will there be access to the GUI elements/graphics also?

Thanks,
Dave
That will come last (as it is the most difficult to do in a way that doesn't take away my ability to be agile with UI changes by making it easy to break other peoples' code). We'll see to what extent, but my intent right now is to be able to add your own editors via plugin, and add your own parameters to the param tree for those editors. I also plan to at least add the ability to add your own toolbars, and perhaps menu items.

Again, that's iall in flux at the moment, as it will be done last.

Emulation plugin-ization is done (or at least working. still need to code review it and ensure that it's extensible enough). Working on data acquisition as I type this.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
DSmith1989

Post by DSmith1989 »

Six_Shooter wrote: For me, I'm simply looking at adding the input from my Innovative WBO2 (LC-1) into the Tuner Pro RT dash and datalog./quote]

This is what I need.
On my 89 Camaro I have the LC1 hooked to the ECM so I'm covered there.

The problem I have right now is a friends 94 LT1 car, he has a LC1 w-b o2 and I have been looking for a way to tie it into TunerPro.
Mangus wrote:In the future I may add support for common WBO2 controllers.
Did this happen? I have v5 and don't see what I think I should be looking for.
1989 Camaro Rs, 383 HSR, 280/288 XFI roller cam, T-5, 3.73 gears, 130 shot