My project

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

mtl26637

My project

Post by mtl26637 »

Hello everyone, i have finally found the place i have been looking for! what ive got is........

I bought an '89 chevy truck k15 5.7 about 6 months ago for a pretty good price. although the tranny was shot and the engine was goin south so i decided to rebuild the tranny (700r4) and swap the engine. My brother works on marine engines and had a couple scrap motors. we decieed to see if we could put one together for the truck. basically the engine that i have now is approx. a 2000 ramjet 350 engine with the vortec heads and an elderbrock intake to convert the new style heads to old style carberator. then i bought a spacer plat from a marine motor manufactureer to convert the carberator sytle intake to the old style throttle body that was originally in the truck.

After all this i start the truck not knowing what i was getting into and it runs like piss. I did some playing around and found out if i unhooked the ecm temp. sensor it runs ALOT better. knowing this i knew it must be in the calibration of the somputer (trying to run a calibration for a stock '89 350 on a new style ramjet 350). so i did some research on the internet and decided to do some calibration. i have winaldl hooked up and workin and bought the eprom eraser and a couple spare chips (2732's) and bought the pocket programmer and have been playing around with the calibration from the stock computer for bout a week now. I lucked out because the only program i found at the time until now was tunercat and luckily the definition file that comes with the program was the ecu file i needed for the truck! now im goin to play around with tunerpro and see how it is. anyway after trial and error and writing bout 10 diff. bins to the truck and watching the blm's and test driveing the truck i think im on the right tracy but it stiill has a bad hesitation when u smash on the gas when idleing. ive tryed bout everyting in the calibraiton with no really good luck yet. although when it is cold and i start the truck it runs without a hiccup until it warms up and then it wants to stall and backfire when u smash it. it seems to run ok in all other aspects but then again i dont know its full potential. well im gonna shut up now but thought you might find this project a little interesting and i would love to hear some opinions!!!

Thanks in advance!!
mtl26637

BTW, i have the cal file for this particular engine from the marine motor manufacturer but it is a mefi 3 - cal file and i dont have any sofware to view it. i dont know if it would help anyway but i thought i would throw that in there.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

sounds like an acceleration enrichment problem. play around with the AE tables and see what happens.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

ive got the blm's in the range from approx. 120 to 140 but still have the problem at wot at idle. Am i on the right track??
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

WOT throttle locks BLM and INT to 128. Since you mention "mashing on the pedal", sounds like you need to change fuel delivery during throttle changes (AE). You might post to the thirdgen message boards and explain your setup.

and/or send a mail to the diy-efi.org GMECM mailing list.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
480ss

Post by 480ss »

If you'd like to try an (offroad) stage 2 bin (NO cat and NO EGR) for a '90 C-1500 With a 5.7 and a 700-R4 (1227747 ECM ) email me i'll try to send it as an attachment to an email.

zookeeper@tbcnet.com
Kurt
'90 Chevy C-1500
+ 472 +.030 Cadillac
= 480ss (roughly)
highhat

Post by highhat »

Stage 2 WOW! gotta Stage 3? LOL

Sorry had to.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

changing the ae tables did do the trick for the hesitation problem at idle, but now after testing for some time im stuck in another spot.

my blms are pretty close 120-130 across the board and the truck runs great except i have a lean stumble between 1500-2000 rpm on light acceleration at high map (60-90) around 50-60 mph. i dont think its got anything to do w/ spark, i took out up to 10 degrees and didnt help. after looking at the log file i see that my blms are around 120 from 1500-2000 rpm but as soon as i hit 50 mph w/ light acceleration my blm's will jump up to 135-150 breifly. why would my blm's be so low on an average and then jump up like they do at 50-60 mph. any suggestions?

if it would help i could post my log files from winaldl

thx