General QUestions...

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

SteelDemon

General QUestions...

Post by SteelDemon »

Hi all!

Been reading lots. I am just now nailing down what files are needed for each process, ie It is my understanding that .ADS is used for datalogging, and .XDF/.ECU is used for chip burning and emulation. Is this correct? Magnus was kind enough to point me at the moates site for an XDS earlier...

If this is so, I would like to know where to find $4E.ADS files, as datalogging would be a logical <read SIMPLE :P > starting point for me. I haven't seen a $4E.ADS on the moates site, only the $4e.xds.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Or is XDS all I'd need?

Thanks for your help,

Anthony
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hello -

In another thread it sounded like you were able to find or create an ADS file that works for you. Is this the case, and if so, where did you find it?

-Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
SteelDemon

Two different trucks...

Post by SteelDemon »

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Create? I wish I was that good! :P Maybe I'll get there eventually... I'm just now getting into the scope of this stuff. Really amazing potential, here.

Nope, still looking for a $4e ALDL def'n, for my 91 Jimmy. I did get stuff moving with my other truck, the 94 Blazer, as I was able to find the necessary files for it.

I have .XDS for both trucks, yet I'm not quite prepared for emulation just yet.

Still looking... How does one create a .ads file anyway? <like I'm not up to my ears with questions already :P>

Thanks,

Anthony
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Download the following zip:
ftp://diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/ALDLstuff.zip

In it are a bunch of plain text .DS files. There is also an index file that describes the application for each .DS file.

The .DS file describes the ALDL commands and responses for its respective application. Find the one for your vehicle and use the information to create a definition.

As an example and model for you to work from, A059.DS is used for 89 F and Y bodies. The 6E_8192.ads file included with TunerPro was built from that .DS file. Open up the A059.DS in a text editor (notepad, for instance), and open up 6E_8192.ADS in the TunerPro ADS editor and compare the information in them.

I'd start by getting the command and reply set up to match what the DS says it should be and set up a value or two, then see if you can connect and get valid data back. If so, then continue adding flags and values.

-M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am