What XDF do I use?

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

JasonB

What XDF do I use?

Post by JasonB »

I've spent six hours trying to get this to work TODAY, not including previous days.
I've searched this site and found several questions that get resolved and the topic poster never says how they did it.

I've got a 1992 Silverado with a 454/4L80E, 7060 ECM with a DynoTech chip.
I have TunerPro RT and Flash and Burn.

The problem is whatever I read, whether it's my chip, a bin file off the internet, etc. It always reads ok.
But when I try to edit it everything is multiplied, for example for an 8 cylinder engine it should say 00, now it says 24.
The timing table is a mess.
I found a list of XDF files, how do I know what one to use?
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Let me explain this in more simple terms.
I can read my chip, save the file with no changes, burn a new chip and it will read different. As an example it reads 24 for number of cylinders.
DENN_SHAH

Post by DENN_SHAH »

it sounds like your using the wrong bin definition file
from what i can tell, it looks like you have the $85 mask.
i may be wrong, but it looks like that ECM was only used in very limited applications.
i don't know if anyone has done a def file for that ECM or not.
you may find what you need here, http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Ok thanks but how do I change that?
DENN_SHAH

Post by DENN_SHAH »

first you'll need to either find the right definition file, or make your own.
TunerPro uses either an XDF or an ECU file for the bin definition which is for the most part specific to each ECM, vehicle & motor.
older versions of TunerPro used the ECU file while the newer versions use the XDF.
the older ECU files are fully compatible with all newer versions of TunerPro.
you may be able to post on a chevy truck board that has people who tune their own chips & ask if anyone has the bin definition file you need for your ECM for TunerPro.

making your own definition file is way over my head.

once you have the right file, you need to bring it into TunerPro.
if you found the right XDF, you do this by clicking on "XDF" & then "select XDF". then point TunerPro to the file. i would recommend putting the file into the Bin definition folder in TunerPro.
if you found the right ECU file, click on "XDF" & then click on "Import" & then "Import ECU". i also recommend putting the ECU file into the Bin definition folder in TunerPro.

also, you'll need the correct ads file for your application to be able to data log with TunerPro.

this next part can be very complicated and is also way over my head. it may not be possible with your ECM.

if the files you need have not been made & you don't know how to make them your self, you may be able to use a different bin for a later ECM & the def files for that bin without changing your ECM.
by this i mean you may be able to use files that are for a different ECM that is used for the same vehicle, motor & transmission that you have. some times when this is done, some of the wiring needs to be swapped around at the ECM connectors.
like i said, this is over my head & you would need to ask about this on a chevy truck board where people tune their own chips.