TunerPro and adequate equipment

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

ATPCR

TunerPro and adequate equipment

Post by ATPCR »

Hello, My name is Greg and I'm in north Alabama. My business name is Ala-Tenn Mustang specializing in the restoration of antique, classic Mustangs. Up to this point, ECMs and PCMs haven't been a part of what I/we do here at work. Until lately. A few of our old Mustangs will not be restored stock with carburetors and points type ignitions. Decades ago we ditched the points and use the Ford DuraSpark distributors.
Now we're are to the points that several of our higher end, not stock restomods could have '97 and up 5.0s, 4.6 SOHCs, 4.6 DOHCs and even possibly Cobra 5.4 drive trains. Coyote engine a possibilty too.
As you experienced Ford people well know, that all of what I have mentioned is operated by OBDII PCMs.
I am in the discovery stage and just starting to accumulate the necessary hardware. I know that first I will have to crawl before I can walk, then get my shoes and grow from there. I would think that as I get familiar with the process that removing PATS,turning off rear O2 sensors etcetera would be beginner stage programing. I have a connection cable picked out to purchase if it is adequate. Vgate vlinkerVS. Let me know if it is good or not.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155183293400?c ... mYQAvD_BwE
I just noticed that Ebay says it is out of stock. Let me know if this good enough to start with in my beginning stage. Thanks for any information
Greg in north Alabama
ATPCR

Re: TunerPro and adequate equipment

Post by ATPCR »

So none of you 34 guys that read my post will say "hey, here is the cable that I use"...
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

I don't quit after one or two unanswered posts like I've seen some guys inquire here.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

I have a data link connector cable on the way. I hope it is going to be adequate.
ATPCR

Post by ATPCR »

With limited information available and very limited help, I think that I will need some type of J2534 device to connect the laptop to the vehicle. I'm primarily trying to work on OBD2 Ford products, ~1996-2003. If anyone here is doing the same, let me know please. Thanks
pctcmccoy

Post by pctcmccoy »

ATPCR wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:49 am With limited information available and very limited help, I think that I will need some type of J2534 device to connect the laptop to the vehicle. I'm primarily trying to work on OBD2 Ford products, ~1996-2003. If anyone here is doing the same, let me know please. Thanks
Try looking up a Face Book group.
Portmod7

Post by Portmod7 »

Well, this is encouraging as another guy wanting to learn 😂