Universal data logging

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

RedCar

Universal data logging

Post by RedCar »

I'm tuning a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo using TunerPro RT and an Ostrich 2.0. Just learning the basics for now so I'm not very experienced with what TunerPro can do. But so far, so good.

I'd like to log engine data while tuning. Particularly rpm vs signals from the AFM, boost, injector duty, etc. I've started to design an Arduino-based input capture device and I'll tie into sensors from the Bosch Motronic DME and my WBO2 sensor. The hardware is relatively simple but actually collecting and displaying data is harder. My current plan is to use a serial data capture function in MS Excel, but I haven't gotten far enough to test this yet.

I'm wondering if TunerPro could accept a data stream from my Arduino to log the data there? I could possibly write the Arduino code to emulate a different existing input device. This is where someone with more experience could save me a lot of time. Has this already been done? Or any alternative suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Re: Universal data logging

Post by Mangus »

The data logging plug-in for TunerPro was built for generic serial logging. You could certainly create an ADX to communicate with whatever serial protocol you implement on the Arduino.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
RedCar

Re: Universal data logging

Post by RedCar »

Thank you for the response!
I did spend some time reading the documentation on setting up ADX files, and I agree it should be possible to create one for my Arduino. However I'm still not clear about the format of the data from the Arduino. I understand you can set up the parameters for each input you want to monitor, but there must be characters at the start and end of the data string.

Are there any examples or other references I could use to understand exactly what TunerPro is looking for?