1988 LB9 & TP RT v5

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

gkimnach

1988 LB9 & TP RT v5

Post by gkimnach »

First post in 6 years. Bear with the somewhat long-winded inquiry.

My car is a 1988 IROC with a 305 (LB9, 1227165) with 5-speed manual. I previously had used TP ver4 under XP and upgraded to TP RT v5, although I had not installed nor used v5. With XP I was using an ALDL-serial cable with a generic Prolific chipset serial-to-USB converter. To be honest I do not recall which datatstream definition I had used, but I was connecting at 8192 baud. I do have the 10k resistor installed.

This July I decided to upgrade my carputer from XP to win7. My priorities were for the infotainment system to work. (TP had only been intended to be used when I had an issue, which I hadn't so it's been six years since I used it. This summer the car would occasionally stall when was in neutral and in the process of stopping. So I wanted to use TPRT.) I did a clean install of win7 and RideRunner, along with BlueSoleil's BT stack and other support software. Things were good for a week, then the Atom motherboard died. I never got to install TPRT v5.

I purchased a new mini-ITX board and did a clean install of Win10 (yes 10, not 7). The Visteon HD tuner sometimes connected, sometimes didn't. So, I purchased a pair of FTDI chipset based serial-USB converters. The HD tuner worked.

At the end of September, I installed TP v5 and configured the com port. I tried both 6E and 32B (imported ads file, saved as adx). 6E would "sort of connect" with just a stream of error counts. 32B refused to connect with or without the 10k. I checked the cable for any damage, but it was fine. I removed the FTDI converter and tried the Prolific (had to use an old 3.3x driver for it to work under win10.) That gave the same results.

I then tried winaldl without luck.

I threw in the towel after many wasted hours over the course of a couple of weeks and ordered the Red Devil River BT ALDL interface. (I vascillated between a new Moates cable and BT.) I had to use the supplied power connector in place of the existingpin-G because it did not have 12V on it. I removed the G insert, installed the wire and connected to a switched 12V line.

I paired the RDR BT ALDL and fully expected things to work. (BleuSoleil indicated outgoing connection?) Checked the BT com port assigned to it, configured TPRT, loaded 6E and edited its default baud rate to 9600 (the RDR does the 9600-8192 translation), and.....nothing. Repeated attempts, same thing. Tried 32B. Errors.

Frustrated beyond belief, last night I purchased ALDLdroid and installed it on my Galaxy S3 phone. I copied the 32B and 6E adx files to the phone. I can connect with 32B (160 baud?), but not with 6E.

In the end, here are my questions.

--Silly me asks which datastream file should I be using? 6E is for an 89 LB9 and 32B is 160baud. It' recommended to try an older model's definition file, but not a newer model car definition. I don't recall having this issue with TP v4.

--If I use the BT, could this a Bluesoleil issue (outgoing connection)? I have to use the Bluesoleil stack with RideRunner (and Driveline) for phone integration.

thanks for your patience.