AutoProm / TunerPro Chip Reading Question

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

ramiles

AutoProm / TunerPro Chip Reading Question

Post by ramiles »

Chip Reading - I wanted to start with something simple in learning how to tune. First, got TunerPro up and registered - connected via USB to the AutoProm and got a "ready" - only problem is with I went to the Prom read/write utility (cntrl B) I had to make a selection of which chip I am using?

Did a pretty good search but didn't find anything conclusive and all the chip nomenclature was "greek" to me. Supported types included in TunerPro were 29C256, 29F040, 27SF512, 2732 (read only), 27C128, 27C128, 27C256, 27C512, and some others.

I have a stock chip (which contains the "BIN", right?) from my 86 Vette, from a 165 ECM. Anyone know which chip I have? And, what is a good reference resource for finding it?

Also, when I ordered the Moates Adapter kit I also ordered two 27SF512 chips which I assume are writeable prom which is a different type (electronic instead of UV?) Any good reference for understanding the difference in chip types here.

Thanks

Ross
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Sorry for the delay.

To read your '86, use 27C128. You can only read that chip type.

When it comes time to burn, you'll want to burn to your 27SF512s. Select "27SF512" for that from the chip type.

Also, see these:
http://www.moates.net/documentation.php ... tion_id=20
http://www.moates.net/documentation.php ... tion_id=13

Have fun!

M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
ramiles

Post by ramiles »

Thanks Mark - got some good help also in the Vette Forum - Thanks for developing this software - very cool piece ofwork!!