Need help badly

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

newbieTuner

Need help badly

Post by newbieTuner »

So I've been searching online reading posts and whatnot, and I can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

I have TunerPro installed, have the cable hooked up, and ran the test which comes back saying it can see it. I then turn the key to the 'on' position and it click the DA button and/or Ctrl + F4 and it reads 'DA: Connecting...' and it sits like that indefinitely.

I have gotten what I believe is the correct .adx file for the 91 Dodge Stealth and have it loaded. (Kaxlon_DSM_1G_TunerPro_ADX_0.6_dash_list.adx).

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated, I've been working on this for awhile now and have had no success. Even watched a few YouTube videos on setup to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro doesn't detect logging cables. Hardware detection is only used for emulation and other hardware that is microprocessor controlled. Perhaps you don't have the data acquisition plug-in configured to use the COM port that your cable is installed to.

Kaxlon himself may be a good source of help for you on this as well.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The cable was purchased from Red Devil River, and following the YouTube videos for setup, it has you go into Device Manager, find the COM port and then set it in TunerPro and click the button "Test for Valid Interface Using Settings".

I found the COM port (in this case COM3) and set it in TunerPro and it came back saying it can see the cable just like in the video. Before I had it set to the correct COM port, it would say something about not being able to see the cable. Am I missing something?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Great. Sounds like you're set up correctly on the TunerPro side, then.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

So do you think it might be a problem with hardware, like the cable or something on the car that's not communicating?

Is this a common problem? I feel like a dog going in circles on trying to figure this out and I am truly lost beyond trying to mime a few things I can find on the internet.
Last edited by newbieTuner on Fri May 16, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

Also I hope my first reply didn't give you the impression I think I know what I'm doing. I just wasn't sure if I was doing it right and understood what you meant, I am completely lost on this.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Unfortunately I don't have any DSM experience myself. I'll point Kaxlon here. Hopefully he can shed some light for you.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
kaxlon

Post by kaxlon »

Hi!

Can you post some specifics about the cable?
Is it a USB or old school RS232.
Has it been used previously with a palm logger?
Also, have you tried it with the TMO software?

Thanks.
.. KiM H .. aka KaxLon
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

It's a USB cable plug and is new, I haven't used it on or with anything else. When you say TMO software, what do you mean?

If there's any other information that would be helpful let me know and I will try to get it to you.
kaxlon

Post by kaxlon »

TMO is a old school data logging software. Inferior to TunerPro but great for quickly check some sensors and the connection.

The USB cable will ground the correct pin and force the ECU into serial data mode which we use for data logging.

Can you link or post pictures of the logger cable?
.. KiM H .. aka KaxLon
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

I apologize it's taking me so long to get back to you, I was out of town. I won't be able to post a picture until tomorrow night. I will post as soon as I can.
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

Here is the requested pictures of the cable.

Hope that helps. [/img]
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

That's a Red Devil River ALDL cable. http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
newbieTuner

Post by newbieTuner »

Yes it was purchased from Red devil River. I hope it isn't a bad choice of cable with known issues?
c2greyhawk

Post by c2greyhawk »

I have been following this link and it ended with "I hope it isn't a bad choice of cable with known issues?" Is there a page two to this thread ?
I have the same issue on the same car. Just nothing shows up in the Parameter field.

I left messages with Red Devil River on ebay, direct email and phone and he has not responded for several weeks. I have his usb ALDL cable , Tuner pro CD which he supplied and can communicate between laptop and cable but not with the car. The connected light never turns green.
Just rebuilt engine and not passing CA emissions test-high hydrocarbons. I am looking for a stock load to build a baseline beforeI start adjusting.

Anybody...please help!
Tom / San Diego