82 Vette....just getting started...need help!!!

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

L83 CFI

82 Vette....just getting started...need help!!!

Post by L83 CFI »

Hello all, newbie to the forum, could use some help. Installed TunerPRO RT, have the ADL cable and trying to figure out how to proceed.
1- I cannot bring up the parameter ordered list, type, or category.
so how is that done?
2- I have the A062 adx file in the TunerPro files, I think it is activated, but can't tell!!
3- I have the "default view" working at the bottom of the screen, but cannot access any other items.
4- Been looking at the you tube videos, and hopefully will find more info there.

Any additional info that anyone can provide to get me started will be greatly appreciated.

PS also note that the RPM's, temp is working in the "default view", so it is communicating.

thanks.............Tom
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

ok, making progress, opened .xdl and the parameter's list, etc., came up.
so I am moving forward :D
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i guess, what are you attempting to do? just datalogging(or watching a log?) or changing the calibration?
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

robertisaar wrote:i guess, what are you attempting to do? just datalogging(or watching a log?) or changing the calibration?
would like datalogging, watch a log, etc., don't want to change the calibration, just want to take advantage of all of the info available and make sure I am setting up the software correctly.... :) thanks....Tom

guess I am trying to learn everything in 1 day.....I know there is a learnng curve, just want it all to work as it should......
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

looks like you have the right ADX, logs are recorded as XDLs. did you already get one recorded?

you're on the right path.
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

robertisaar wrote:looks like you have the right ADX, logs are recorded as XDLs. did you already get one recorded?

you're on the right path.
good to hear :lol:
ok, the ADX seems fine and once I activated the XDL, then all of the parameters came up on the left side of the screen. I tried to record a log, but don't know if I did it right. Trying to get the gauges to come up on the right side of the screen to see everything operational. That is where
I screw something up now, can't bring up the default list and when I try to reload the ADX file, I get an error message......
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

sounds like you're opening the XDF, not the XDL.

for guages, look for a red circular "guage" icon underneath the navigation bar. should see 4 icons there for the 4 different views.

what error message comes up when the ADX is loaded?
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

robertisaar wrote:sounds like you're opening the XDF, not the XDL.

for guages, look for a red circular "guage" icon underneath the navigation bar. should see 4 icons there for the 4 different views.

what error message comes up when the ADX is loaded?
trying to do to much at one time..... :lol:

error message.....
unrecognized encoding (parser does not support UTF-8 language encodings)
this happens when I go under acquisition-load definition file.
I know I'm doing something wrong
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

sure you're trying to load an ADX file when that happens? i think that message will happen when trying to load an ADS in addition to probably most other filetypes.
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

robertisaar wrote:sure you're trying to load an ADX file when that happens? i think that message will happen when trying to load an ADS in addition to probably most other filetypes.
thanks for all of the replies, have to run out, will be back on later tonight, going to hook up to the Vette and see if I can get any readings....
will report later.......................Tom
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

1- I completely deleted everything including the cable drivers and started over again...
I found out that File XDF View Compare at the top of the menu bar are for rewriting the PROM and not used if not attempting this task, as additional hardware is needed.
The ADS file is for Version 4 and needs to be converted to an ADX file for Version 5, which I have done. I didn't realize the above from before and installed a XDF file from another vehicle app, which brought up the parameter choices on the left side window for that vehicle, not the L83.
The XDL file contians any data logging that you do and save, as that is what it appears to do.

2- using a cable from OBD diag, set at COM 3 and is working fine, as I was able to get back in and monitor some items this AM.

3- also figured out the dash, just can't get gauges to pop up, just seperate windows for the info.

It also seems like there is not alot of support for the 82 L83, as the amount of info seems limited. Don't know if it was my imagination, but it appears that when I had an XDF file loaded from an F Body, it gave me more items to get info from.....will have to figure this out.....

here is some info from this morning's log.....

Engine Speed........ 625 RPM's
Coolant Temp........ 182.75 F
TPS...................... 0.57 Volts
IAC...................... 129 Steps
MAP..................... 4.92 Volts
O2 Sensor............. 359.64 mV

I'm sure there may be alot more to do with this software, again, a learning curve for sure. Just have to figure out how to obtain more info from from the L83, if that is possible....

Robert, again thanks for your time with your replies, it is appreciated. Hopefully I will learn more as I go along with the software.....Tom
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the amount of info being limited is normal... a lot of GM vehicles didn't really have ECMs in 1982, and the ones that did were pretty primative in what they could do.

i'm not used to a crossfire, but you seem to be idling with a LOT of IAC steps and little to no vacuum.
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

robertisaar wrote:the amount of info being limited is normal... a lot of GM vehicles didn't really have ECMs in 1982, and the ones that did were pretty primative in what they could do.

i'm not used to a crossfire, but you seem to be idling with a LOT of IAC steps and little to no vacuum.
I hear you there!!!

Can you further explain about the IAC steps, vacuum and where they should be, as I am still learning about the CFI. It runs fine, idle will vary slightly at times. I know there may be a small leak in the headlight system, as lights won't go up, but will come down fine, so it could be a bad actuator for the lights.
Also at times during the datalog this AM, the IAC steps were lower, they seem to go up and down, but this is where they ended up with the engine warmed up, I have a 180 thermostat.
thanks..........................................Tom
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the IAC is a stepper motor used to control the amount of air going into the engine during low to no throttle. think of it as a computer controlled vacuum leak. more steps = more airflow.

vacuum(as measured by the MAP sensor), it looks like you're at none if it is showing 4.92 volts. there should be a MAP kPa value in your definition, if there isn't it could be added in. but 0V from the MAP sensor is 10kPa(around 27" vacuum, i think), 5V is 104kPa(0 vacuum). you're right next to 5V just idling. not sure if it is sensor error or you just have that little vacuum going to the sensor. in either case, it can and will cause some odd things to happen.

like i said though, not familiar with the crossfire setups, so i have no idea where they should be.
L83 CFI

Post by L83 CFI »

robertisaar wrote:the IAC is a stepper motor used to control the amount of air going into the engine during low to no throttle. think of it as a computer controlled vacuum leak. more steps = more airflow.

vacuum(as measured by the MAP sensor), it looks like you're at none if it is showing 4.92 volts. there should be a MAP kPa value in your definition, if there isn't it could be added in. but 0V from the MAP sensor is 10kPa(around 27" vacuum, i think), 5V is 104kPa(0 vacuum). you're right next to 5V just idling. not sure if it is sensor error or you just have that little vacuum going to the sensor. in either case, it can and will cause some odd things to happen.

like i said though, not familiar with the crossfire setups, so i have no idea where they should be.
thanks....good info, I have the Shop Manual, don't know if that will give me the info that is needed, but will look through and see if I can find anything to what you mentioned.
griffawj

L83

Post by griffawj »

I have a 1982 Corvette also. Have you been able to get this fully functioning? I am getting a reading, but cannot get the data dash to show graphically while running. I getting ready to have the throttle body bushing put in for the shafts and wanted to get a good reading before I take them off. Thanks for any insight or help you can provide.

James
L83 CFI

Re: L83

Post by L83 CFI »

griffawj wrote:I have a 1982 Corvette also. Have you been able to get this fully functioning? I am getting a reading, but cannot get the data dash to show graphically while running. I getting ready to have the throttle body bushing put in for the shafts and wanted to get a good reading before I take them off. Thanks for any insight or help you can provide.

James
Wish I had a positive answer for you, but have been busy with work and not have devoted any time to the software. Only what I accomplished from the previous posts, which wasn't that much..............Tom