Memory location logging?

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

SPOOLD U

Memory location logging?

Post by SPOOLD U »

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this yet. So far, I am in love my ostrich, one of the best things i did for the car it's in. One thing my car really needs though, is a good datalogger for the laptop. Using a palm logger is kindof annoying when making changes on a laptop, I'd much rather do both on the laptop, for ease of use. Since there is already an emulation ability, it seems it wouldn't be out of the question to have some sort of ability to record specific memory locations "datalog" style? This could potentially also log the values at a much higher rate than an ALDL logger. Ideally, one could set up a "definition" type file, with each location to be logged, and a formula for how to display the value, and of course labeling and min/max values for graphing purposes.
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

I may be completely wrong, but for us Ford users I think the Ostrich is only emulating the rom and all the useful information worth logging is held in ram and kam. As far as I know this isn’t presented to the J3 bus on the eec but then again how does the Tweecer datalog?
SPOOLD U

Post by SPOOLD U »

I am using this on a Mitsubishi. Maybe my understanding of how it works is incorrect. I see your point, and it makes sense.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Unfortunately the Ostrich can't be used for recording address "hits". But a future emulator from Craig may have this ability.

TunerPro itself will eventually support logging for the DSM, Nissan, and Honda guys. Look for that in version 5.0.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
SPOOLD U

Post by SPOOLD U »

DSM logging is what I was looking to hear :D

I had been struggling attempting to use tunerpro to log my DSM, not knowing until further research, why it wouldn't work. Right now the DSM community really lacks a complete laptop logging solution. With as much ECU hacking as we are doing these days, the ability to define all the items with our own formulas and lookup tables like what is there for the GM stuff already would be perfect. Using the MAFT and eliminating the baro and IAT code, I now have two usable inputs, but no way to log them, because the formulas are all wrong in the available loggers. Any plans on when version 5 will be ready?

While on the subject of logging, I also have another suggestion to make. Could it be possible to choose the number of viewable graphed items beyond the current limit of 4?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Yes, in the future I'll probably increase the limit and make it user selectable (like, 1 through 20 or something). More graphs means more time taken with each sample to display and update them, though. But user discretion is good.

Thanks for the suggestion!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

If you have the ability to change code you could reassign the address that is being output to the datastream. Just locate an item you don't need to see and load a word from a memory location of your choice to that position.
I don't know much about the foreign stuff to know if it is possible yet.
SPOOLD U

Post by SPOOLD U »

JP86SS wrote:If you have the ability to change code you could reassign the address that is being output to the datastream. Just locate an item you don't need to see and load a word from a memory location of your choice to that position.
I don't know much about the foreign stuff to know if it is possible yet.
that is what i've been doing. unfortunately, since tunerpro does not support logging for my vehicle yet, it doesn't do me much good, since i can't reconfigure my logger software.

how far away is version 5, out of curiousity?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

SPOOLD U wrote: how far away is version 5, out of curiousity?
V5 is still in the planning stages. I have one more V4 release with some fixes for the Ford guys and a few minor feature improvements, then I start work on V5.

I'd say 5-6 months is a safe number. I'd prefer not to pressure myself too much in an attempt to keep it fun.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am