AutoProm ADC Interface Channels Set up in TunerPro!

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

EagleMark

AutoProm ADC Interface Channels Set up in TunerPro!

Post by EagleMark »

The Moates Autoprom is an all in one Chip Tuners dream tool! Not only a data logging cable, chip burner and emulator but also has a three extra channels from a ADC input for wide band O2 sensors or whatever you need. This article will be how to set up those three channels into your ADX file for TunerPro RT V5.

For more information on the AutoProm check out the Moates site at:
http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-pac ... rsion.html

Basic need for the extra channels is to log your wide band O2 sensor in same log file. But with three channels you can run a wide band O2 sensor for each side of a V8 engine and still have one left over for extra IAT/MAT sensor to measure before and after boost air temps!

So lets start with the APADC wire inputs, looking at back of AutoProm they are Channel 3, Channel 2, Channel 1 and Ground next to the USB cable. If you have a wide band O2 sensor setup already with a gauge or data log cable you can run a ground wire from same ground lug on engine block into car for use with the AutoProm, one ground will cover all three circuits.

Load your ADX data logging file in TunerPro and click on Acquisition, Edit Definition.

Or the 2 gears to Edit ADX.

First thing we have to find is the payload size. Under commands look at Data Transfer for 160 Baud ECM.

Or usually Mode 1 Message 1 for 8192 Baud ECM/PCM.

The AutoProm adds three channels on top of this Payload. For the Payload size of 63. Have to count from 0 so 0 to 62 is the 63, the last byte used in ALDL data stream is 62.

For 63 Byte Payload the AutoProm Channels will be:
Also the channels on the AutoProm are not in exact order of data stream.
Channel 1 is 65 and 66
Channel 2 is 63 and 64
Channel 3 is 67 and 68
This was done and tested in $0E-16197427-V1-72-IH.adx file on my sons 72 IH truck.

We will use the Payload size of 20 for the rest of this example ( have to know your Payload size from existing ADX file, see above). Have to count from 0, so 0 to 19 is the 20, the last byte used in ALDL data stream is 19.

We will be using 16 bits for source data for each channel of AutoProm. Each Byte has 8 bits. So this is 2 Bytes or 16 bit per channel on AutoProm.

Remember the channels on the AutoProm are not in exact order of data stream.
Channel 1 is 22 and 23
Channel 2 is 20 and 21
Channel 3 is 24 and 25
This was done and tested in $42-1227747-V4.3.adx on my 1990 Suburban.

So lets get some values set up for the three channels of the AutoProm! Open values.

Then Add New Item.

Add new item information.
1. Title of what the channel will be used for.
2. Unique ID, if it is same as something already in ADX it will prompt you that the ID is not unique.
3. Description of what the channel is for and can keep your conversions here, notes or whatever you need!
4. Set Data Type.
5. Set Stock Units.
6. Set Units Display.
7. Packet Offset to Channel 1, Packet Offset is 22 in this case. TunerPro will automatically fill in the Hex address in left box.
8. Source Data for AutoProm is 16 bit.
9. Range low will be 0.00 and Range high will be 5.00 for 0 to 5 volts.

Now we need to set the conversion. Information coming in is Analog then converted to 1024 bits Digital, we want to convert that back to the analog reading of 0 to 5 volts. Click on Conversion Tab at bottom of value window.

Then click on the Set button.

The AutoProm Channels are 1024 bits! This is 4 times as much resolution as the stock ECM/PCM which usually uses 256 bits. Since we are using 16 bit/2 bytes we need to do the math and TunerPro is already set up for this! Remember it is Byte 22 and 23, we set it for 16 bit.

Byte 22 is MSB, Byte 23 is LSB. The equation is MSB * 256 + LSB = Value (Value / 1024) * 5 = 0 to 5 Volts.

Lets do it back wards so you can see how we come up with the equation. 5 volts (is the value coming in as Analog) divided by 1024 bits (Digital) that the AutoProm uses equals 0.0048828125. So if the AutoProm see's 1024 bits times 0.0048828125 it comes out to what we want to see in volts, 5.0

Conversion for 0 to 5 volts is:
(X * 0.0048828125) + 0.000000

The + 0.00000 is for offset, it is not needed right now for volts but later you will see how it works for Air Fuel Ratio (AFR).

Add the conversion and click OK.

Click Save to save your new value to your ADX file!

Since we set up a new value for AutoProm Channel 1 volts which can be used for anything, but in this case it will be for Wide Band O2 sensor so lets set up a second value for AutoProm Channel 1 AFR. You can have 2 or more values for same Packet Offset to show different values. With the Wide Band O2 sensor it is great to see that the volts are correct for setting up the Wide Band O2 controller, but what we really want to see is the AFR, Air Fuel Ratio!

For getting proper AFR you have to set up your Wide Band controller for 0 to 5 volts. Here's an example of the Wide Band software and settings for Inovate LC-1 Wide Band O2 controller we are using below. You can skip this for now if your not ready and continue with setting up the value. Then come back and adjust to your Wide Band O2 sensors readings in the value we are creating in TunerPro.

So lets add another value. Click on Add New Item just like last time and we will set it up for AFR.

Add new item information.
1. Title of what the channel will be used for.
2. Unique ID, if it is same as something already in ADX it will prompt you that the ID is not unique.
3. Description of what the channel is for and can keep your conversions here, notes or whatever you need!
4. Set Data Type.
5. Set Stock Units.
6. Set Units Display.
7. Packet Offset to Channel 1, Packet Offset is 22 in this case. TunerPro will automatically fill in the Hex address in left box.
8. Source Data for AutoProm is 16 bit.
9. Range low will be 7.35 and Range high will be 22.39 (TunerPro will truncate to 22.3899 which is fine) for the LC1 Wide Band O2 Sensor. Other sensors may have different values.
10. Set the Alarms for whatever you would like for low and high, click Enable.

Click on the Conversion Tab at bottom.

Then click the Set button.

For the LC-1 WideBand 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 AFR.
AFR of 7.35 to 22.39 is a difference of 15.04 divided by 1024 = 0.0146875

Conversion for this would be:
(X * 0.0146875) + 7.350000

Adding the offset makes 0 volts 7.35 AFR

For other Wide Band controllers that have 0V = 10.00 AFR and 5V = 20.00 AFR.
AFR of 10.00 to 20.00 is a difference of 10.00 divided by 1024 = 0.009765625

Conversion for this would be:
(X * 0.009765625) + 10.00000

Adding the offset makes 0 volts 10.00 AFR

Add the conversion and click OK

Click Save to save your new value to your ADX file!

Rinse and repeat for AutoProm Channel 2 and 3!

Here's a shot of the dash board in TunerPro looking at all three channels from AutoProm. Channel 1 has Volts and AFR. This was done on my test bench with 1.5 volts going into all three channels.

Notes: Probably the most important part of setting up three channels on the AutoProm that makes it hard to get the channel correct is a few details.

1. AutoProm Channels are not in order of ALDL packets. Look at the first picture of this thread.
If the ALDL packets were in order of the channels it would be: 3 | 1 | 2 | Ground.

2. AutoProm Channels are 16 bit, so you need 2 ALDL packet offsets. If you don't get them correct your reading is not even close but you will still get a reading!

2. With nothing hooked up to the three channels you still get some readings. (see 3.)

3. ADCs are very sensitive. When you connect something to one of them, you drive the signal to a known state. The way the ADCs on the APU1 are done on an electrical level allows them to float a little, which means that they are quite susceptible to picking up noise from other channels. If you want the noise to go away, tie unused channels to ground or just ignore signals on other channels.

4. When signal going into a channel is set up correctly to ALDL is extremely accurate! I tested signal going in to what is displayed and it is perfect to .00001 with Digital Volt Meter. But because of notes 1, 2 and 3 can be very hard to diagnose.

Special Thanks for technical information for this article to:

Craig Moates http://www.moates.net/
Dave Blundell http://www.moates.net/
Mark Mansaur http://www.tunerpro.net/
gregs78cam http://www.gearhead-efi.com/

Keep an eye on this page and if any mistakes are found or more information can be added it will be updated here!

Stay Tuned! :rockon:

EDIT: Notes to date:
1. 160 Baud $42 shows on dash but does not show up in data.
2. 8192 Baud $0E-D shows in all three gauges in dash and records first two channels.
Last edited by EagleMark on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

Mark, this is probably worthy of a sticky(or maybe being archived in a FAQ/tutorial section?) considering how many people have issues with setting up the autoprom A/D channels.

however, can you explain a bit more on this?
2. 8192 Baud $0E-D shows in all three gauges and records first to channels.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

I had told Mark I would post it after some feedback, he wanted to stick it with the other one in this forum.
2. 8192 Baud $0E-D shows in all three gauges and records first to channels.
Well first "to" is a typo, "two"... :D

It records in data channel 1 and 2 but looking at ALDL packets it is 2 and 1 but can't get 3 in data? If you look at ALDL address for 3 it is beyond commands like say 63 plus offset 3 and added 1 for glitch issue is 67 and the ADX works fine. But with AutoProm channel 3 is 67-68 and does not record? If you increase to 69 all data is scewed...

160 Baud is set in stone and can't change total as it scews all data, but still works properly on dashboard, just not any channel in data log.

Now a guy in Australia says he has data on all three but I don't remember what ADX and have never seen data so this is inconclusive. Like I said data is there on gauges in dashboard. Mark M said this was impossible and was looking into it. But my testing on these three masks is definitive. I really make sure I am correct before asking TunerPro or Moates for support, although they have given great support through this project! :D

Most people will never use all three extra channels, the issue is complexity of each channel using 2 bits, then some spash over to other bits so it leads you to think data is on other channel, then channels are not in order of 1,2,3 or 3,2,1. So it was hard to dial in. But this does not affect accurate data. I was only able to figure this out with signals to all three channels at same time on test bench. But once I started this project I wanted to document all three and this is a far as I made it.
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!